Vehicle service/part costs - warning *RANT* mode on!

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

User121314

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Mondays rant!

Honda Jazz:
2 punctures. 1 is on the sidewall, so need to replace the tyre which has only done 4k km's since new a few months back.  :fuse:
Needs new front discs & pads. Honda quote R4.1k. Supa Quick quote R2.4k ex VAT.
Speak to my client at AAAS (Midas Group). R770 ex VAT. Ferodo discs & Ferodo pads.

WTAF? I have no issue with anyone making a profit. In fact, I expect it, it is every businesses right to make a profit, that is what keeps them in business. But a markup of 215% for Supa Quick & 400% for Honda?
I'll even be generous & give them a full hours labour at R500-00 per hour for the untrained & unqualified "service staff" member they'll put on the job. Nonetheless: GFYS.

Toyota Fortuner:
100k service is due.
Toyota quote R5k for "standard items" - no extras.
Midas parts: R1,100 including a new air filter element which Toyota only clean with high pressure air, not replace. So throw in 2 hours labour (being exceptionally generous here, 1 hour should cover it easily) and it comes to R2.1k. Again, I say GFYS. Interestingly, a mate extended his maintenance plan on his Fortuner (identical to ours) and his 100k service was R2,8k. Seems like service plan gets charged less than joe soap in the street!

Reminds me why I am grateful I have tools & knowledge.

Rant over, Tuseday is rapidly approaching!  :BWAHAHAH: