Author Topic: Hivi 3Way Build  (Read 958 times)

Offline Air

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Music lover and involved in industry
    • Airmusic
Re: Hivi 3Way Build
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2018, 08:23:32 PM »
I think that the risk of using published specs and measurements of drivers are not comparable to how they would perform on an intended baffle.  I learned to appreciate the competency of driver manufacturers. Part of the skill or artistry I believe is to  envisaged how a driver would perform in a baffle with a crossover as well. A simple 1St order electrical network maybe result in a perfect 2nd order a acoustic response, or even a 3rd order filter in some instances with a superb linearity to boot. Lots of experimentation coupled with doing measurements and of course listening help to develop a feel of what is possible, what could work snd hopefully what might shoot the lights out in terms of performance. Going by the book is a good way to start but the the intuitive understanding of a driver is what makes all the difference.
In terms of crossover frequencies I tend to agree to keep it out of the 300hz to 3Khz range in a 3 way. The lower the higher the better, so I aim for a mid that can work between 150hz and 4Khz with a minimum of heavy handed crossover intervention whilst  keep distortion and extreme beaming under control. Coherence in midband, for me, trumps many of the mainstream priorities like power handling etc.

The higher sensitivity of the bass driver is not a blessing but almost a necessity, else one would have to pad down the mid driver and in the process loose precious energy in the form of heat dissipation an possible coloration of the midband. With a 3 way crossover there will also be a slight gain before the high pass crossover which will necessitate a bass unit with a higher sensitivity. Losses in low pass crossover would be also need to kept in mind in the equation. A slight slope down from 100hz to 3/5Khz is also probably more of a balanced and musical presentation that a completely flat response, inless of course the speaker are intended to be used with a amplifier with low damping(typically valves)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline El Sid

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2018, 11:31:04 PM »
I'm definitely no expert, but it seems to me that none of those drivers are very flat from around 400 - 1500 Hz - shouldn't you consider a different mid?

one thing i realised
flat isn't necessarily a prerequisite. i am working with some drivers atm that aren't flat but they sound incredibly good

I wisely say that having just bought a pair of Philips 9710:

Offline bbe22

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2018, 09:06:45 PM »
Back to The HiVi drivers as per OP
this might be of help to PJF
http://www.swanspeaker.com/support/download/m1%20kit.pdf       use the F5 with a different HiVi  tweeter , crossed over at 3.5K.      included  X-over schematic
( the RT1C is still available )  https://www.parts-express.com/hivi-rt1c-a-planar-isodynamic-tweeter--297-400