Author Topic: Valve Audio Whisper - Is Schalk still around?  (Read 955 times)

Online AlienLlama

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: Valve Audio Whisper - Is Schalk still around?
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2018, 12:12:07 PM »
Hi Jonesy,
I think Agaton Sax sums it nicely and is what I was alluding to, that there must be something more to the story. It takes Schalk about a week of his full time labour to assemble a Whisper, it is the akin to making a Rolex from scratch. I don't know anyone that will do so much for so little return, do the maths and see if you can make a living off the profit from one Whisper a week to pay your bills. It is so good because it is made like a Swiss watch and anyone venturing to pull it apart is going to end up crying. I don't know any one on the planet that offers a better warranty than Schalk and I also don't know of anyone who puts more love and attention into his creations either. This all come at a cost to him personally and sometimes he cannot keep on doing things for free at the expense of himself and his family, he too needs to keep the pot on the boil. So imagine having to send stuff for free to a client who then blows it up? I too would go mute. If you complain about postage then view this from his point of view. I have no doubt that despite everyone's best intentions the fact that the Whisper is kaput is of your own volition. So best is you send it back and I'm sure Schalk would be able to sort it out, the alternative is to bin it because anybody that isn't an expert on the construction of the Whisper is just going to blow more components up. And I would think the right thing to do is to offer to pay for the repairs and the return shipping.
Seriously? Take a step back , dude.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Offline Ampdog

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2018, 02:49:41 PM »
Jonesy,

Having obtained the attention of Schalk, I think this thread has had its run. However, allow me to clear up a few matters.

Nobody said the esteemed repairman on your side is a 'telly repair man'. In my post #3, I simply replied with the info at hand at the time; it then appeared that valves were not tested. (You only confirmed that later.) So absolutely no offense meant to your friend; if so taken at that time or any other, then my apology.

I sincerely hope you come right!
Audio must be the only branch of engineering where lack of basics' knowledge is considered a superior form of wisdom. (Anon)

Offline Jonesy

• AVForums Junior Member
Re: Valve Audio Whisper
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2018, 01:06:22 AM »
Just an update - my Whisper is back up and running. It seems to sound better than ever. The repairman said some of the valves were off and he's got 4 matched valves out of the 8 in total and used them in the MC side. The MM side now is empty but I don't intend using it for a while at least. It's possible when I've put the new cases on I've blown the valves.

The bass lines are great. Been listening to some Toots and the Maytals, Madness and ELO, and am loving it. The highs are a bit glassy but that may be the recordings, or the valves. I've heard Russian valves can sound a bit bright or aggressive.

When I bought the Whisper I asked for Voskhod Rocket valves which is what Schalk supplied with it, as they worked really well in my previous pre amp.

Could I ask what are the stock valves in the Whisper? I can't afford anything expensive so was thinking of getting a matched quad of JJ Gold Pins.
I've heard they've got a relaxed presentation, but not sure if they would be suitable for the whisper.
Any reasonably priced valves you recommend? EH Gold Pins?

thanks for your help, and responses in this thread,

Offline Kent Kassler

• The Undertaker
  • Trader
  • Trade Count: (+58)
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2018, 02:36:19 PM »
...good news and as I suspected....
Audiophile Sound Sommelier Extraordinaire....aka Manic Depressive Temporary Void Filler Deluxe.

Offline JonnyP

• Gearslut Pro
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • To the centre of the city in the night
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2018, 08:51:48 PM »
EH gold pins are a decent valve and should be available at your local guitar shop (at least two guitar spots had them in Swindon when I was last looking), the shops reckoned most guitar shops stocked them across the UK. There’s also an online place based in Watford that ships.
Are you waiting for loneliness to paralyse? Are you waiting for sister midnight to anaesthetise?

Offline Jonesy

• AVForums Junior Member
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2018, 12:03:39 AM »
Thanks. I'd heard the JJ were good, and the genalex but I'll give the EH a look.

Offline Jonesy

• AVForums Junior Member
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2018, 12:14:11 AM »
Sorry one last question.

do i need to buy a matched quad of valves for the whisper?

can I mix different valves in the mc stage. one type at the front or the back and another type in the other socket?

I'm not sure what the front valves do and what the back ones do.

Offline Ampdog

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2018, 03:31:51 AM »
Jonesy,

You are more than welcome here, but why not take up such questions directly with Schalk? I presume you have his e-mail address?

(As a preliminary reply - and not being familiar with the schematic of the "Whisper": When you say 'different valves', do you mean different brands or different types/numbers? One should replace valves with same numbered ones eg. 12AU7, 12AX7 etc. - they are not the same. Even with the same brand, current valves can differ substancially from one another - welcome to the modern era. Again, Schalk would be the best person to advise you, it is his design.)
Audio must be the only branch of engineering where lack of basics' knowledge is considered a superior form of wisdom. (Anon)