Valve Audio Whisper - Is Schalk still around?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonesy

Reaction score
I've been trying to contact Schalk for while now but not getting a response. is he still trading?

My whisper hasn't worked for a while now (I think it's been almost a year). I live in the UK and took a chance on buying the Whisper from South Africa. I've finally got round to taking it to a recommended audio repair place but I'm looking for advice from him. The repair man said it looks as though the valves are bad in both the MM and the MC stages resulting in a large channel imbalance. I've never used the Mm stage, and the MC side had only been used for less than a year i think so it's a bit mystifying.

I asked if it could be a component had failed which the MM and the MC side both used to boost gain, but he said there were differences in gain levels for each side (taking into account the fact that the MM will overall less gain).

Anyway he's suggesting I buy some decent valves for both MM and MC sides (not from him by the way) so he can then eliminate the cause being the valves. That would be new 8 valves presumably costing at least ?20 each possibly more.

What valves does the Whisper normally use?

I'm using Voshod Rocket valves at the moment?
Is it safe to use 6NP1 or the PCC88 / 7DJ8 with the Whisper (that's if I can ever get it fixed). I want a reasonable valve but don't want to spend an arm and a leg as it's already me ?80 for the repair man to take a lot at it. I should imagine it's going to cost me a lot more to be actually fixed.

Many thanks.