Author Topic: Weller solder iron tips  (Read 878 times)

Offline Ampdog

Weller solder iron tips
« on: June 07, 2018, 04:38:39 PM »
I lately bought a Weller solder iron tip from Communica, nicely marked "WELLER", but unable of being solder-coated. I can only assume that the "coatable" layer on the tip was too thin; it assumed a black (oxide?) colour almost immediately and that was that.

So the expected question: Where to get and more important, how does one know if it is the real thing? I find in fact that none of my older defunct tips had 'WELLER' engraved on them! So rather than buy one of the newer thingys (R !!!), any advice for this old hound apart from laboureously importing, please?
Audio must be the only branch of engineering where lack of basics' knowledge is considered a superior form of wisdom. (Anon)

Offline Shonver

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
Re: Weller solder iron tips
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 04:48:32 PM »
Similar thing happened with the bits I recently bought from Mantech. Got me suspicious that my thermostat was not working, though I can hear it clicking away (it is the old Magnastat type).

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline marantz123

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • I learnt more from The Internet when it was slower
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 05:45:28 PM »
If ur in Durban, then A1 Radio has a good range of tips and know someone who bought a generic branded tip for a Magnum2000 and still going strong. Possibly a reliable supplier even if is not the OEM branded part.

Offline mygoggie

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 08:07:44 PM »
RS Online carries most Weller tips. That is where I buy my station's tips.
Herman

~ To heal the soul is to embark on a new journey. ~

Offline HBAutomation

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 08:45:37 PM »
If ur in Durban, then A1 Radio has a good range of tips and know someone who bought a generic branded tip for a Magnum2000 and still going strong. Possibly a reliable supplier even if is not the OEM branded part.
I baught a "narrow" tip from them and works perfectly. 6 or so months later and used at least half an hour a day on average.
When You Come to a Fork in the Road, Take It!            [Yogi Berra]

Online Crankshaft

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2018, 09:20:50 AM »
The tip of our workshop Weller was also nice and black - from the typical abuse it receives in a lawnmower shop.

Removed the tip, lightly wire-brushed it, shaped a new point with a file.
Replaced it in the iron, heated it up and re-tinned it with solder and it's as good as new.

The tip material appears to be pure copper. 

Offline Shonver

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2018, 09:29:42 AM »
Tom, that tip is kaput. It should have a plating of nickel over the copper. You can still use it, but it will corrode due to interaction with the flux. The nickel or iron plating resists this corrosion.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Online Crankshaft

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2018, 09:40:38 AM »
Thanks Shaun.

Now, where do we get replacement tips?

Offline Shonver

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2018, 09:48:34 AM »
I would rather buy from RS next time.

Or Saftec Sales
Unit 42, Woodbridge Business Park
Koeberg Road, Milnerton
Cape Town 7435
Western Cape
Tel: (021) 551-2535
Fax: (021) 551-6378

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline Ampdog

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2018, 05:33:47 PM »
Thank ye all kindly, Gentlemans.

In the meantime I have found that Mantech sells a brand: 'Plato' Weller tips, manufactured in a fairly large tool business near Atlanta, USA. Also, that RS stocks Weller tips, unknown manufacturer.

and also that a fairly large Chinese factory makes them!!  :(  :(  :(

For those interested: It would seem (from my limited experience - limited brandwise, not usewise; we used many in the CSIR) that the original Weller tips have the metal back side visibly crimped onto the main body with a 3-jaw crimping tool, where the doubtful types have the metal sensor smoothly pressed into the tip body.

Further, all my genuine Weller tips have the word WELLER clearly stamped on the body of the tip in letters some 2,4mm high. Often (but not always) the type of tip is clearly stamped on the opposite side. Doubtful ones have the name lightly stamped on in smaller letters.

I am not fortunate in locating things on the RS site but will try looking (they are quite closer to me at Kayalami than Mantech in the south of Jo'burg) or phoning.

Then I still have my 34 cm. long 60W Solon soldering iron of >60 years vintage with a 8 mm round copper tip, making light work of fairly hefty jobs!  ;D  ;D.  How to do printed circuit jobs? A coil of 1mm copper wire wound round the tip and ending in a fine sharp point is just dandy! (Er- well; one has to file down the oxide layer occasionally, but never mind. A man needs a break now and then ....)

Thanks again. Contributions by others with experience, positive or negative, will perhaps be appreciated by all.

P.S.: Forgot to mention that I use 60/40 solder all the time; not the new-fangled formulas.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 05:36:58 PM by Ampdog »
Audio must be the only branch of engineering where lack of basics' knowledge is considered a superior form of wisdom. (Anon)

Offline AudioEars

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2018, 07:17:39 PM »
I assume that everybody has forgotten to mention the South African Weller agents..sales@christensen.co.za :giggle:

Online pwatts

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2018, 09:50:28 PM »
Christensen is not exactly the best in terms of service.. alternatives are Techcraft in Cape Town, otherwise I've found RS to not be overly expensive.
Personally for my work I get all my Weller stuff either from eBay (new) or Digikey.

Offline kayvee

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2018, 08:03:55 PM »
I assume that everybody has forgotten to mention the South African Weller agents..sales@christensen.co.za :giggle:

Not strictly true, they are a sub-distributor, like the others mentioned.

In KZN your best bet is AAW Electronics.  The locally produced Magnum range of irons uses Plato tips.  Wellers are different.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 08:07:43 PM by kayvee »

Offline abza

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2018, 09:14:34 PM »
Slightly off-topic, but once you go TS-100, you never go back! Honestly, I was a skeptic before I got one of these puppies. Insanely powerful, a joy to use. Haven't bothered with old-school Magnum/Weller irons for hobby work ever since.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ao39bPEyok4

https://www.banggood.com/MINI-TS100-Digital-OLED-Programmable-Interface-DC-5525-Soldering-Iron-Station-Built-in-STM32-Chip-p-984214.html

NAD 3020
Monitor Audio Silver 2, Radius 90, Silver W12

Offline marantz123

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • I learnt more from The Internet when it was slower
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2018, 10:46:04 PM »
You can make your own solder tips or restore old tips if u have the time. Old copper tips: turn them in a drill , some fine sandpaper, then polish them with a piece of soft pine wood. Make the tip as smooth and shiny as possible this way, removing any oxide and surface scratches etc. Prior activity could be sharpening the tip if the point is not fine enough for your work.

Then, electroplate the tip with nickel. Can do this at home, nothing special is needed, (search www for this). I dont know how thick the coating should be, but 2hours plating time could be ok.

Then, electroplate the tip with phosphor bronze. Apparently  this is one of the best metals for use as plating on a solder tip. A great source of it is old guitar strings. (Lucky I kept my old strings) . 

I guess its not easy to get copper stock rod in the exact diameter for your iron, but other metals could work well, iron steel maybe bronze as well could be ok, but must nickel plate first, then phosphor bronze plate.

I will be trying this soon, reviving a "new" suddenly blackened tip on a magnum station. In fact, I got the wrong tip (for a weller and modified the back end of it to fit)  I guess the tip is not genuine, but want to see if I can make a good tip and see how long it lasts. If it works, then saving R80 a shot for minimal cost and time of initial setup is worth it.

M.