Author Topic: PVR 2P as media server  (Read 513 times)

Offline ALF

PVR 2P as media server
« on: June 06, 2018, 01:06:00 PM »
Ok I never own a DSTV Decoder in my life because I never watch TV really only movies via a PC, so I received a DSTV PVR 2P from somebody in a working state and I saw that it support coax audio output. Can I load my music on the internal drive or via USB and use the coax via a DAC as a media player ??
"the fostex thang".....

Offline Ju_dy@RT

Re: PVR 2P as media server
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 01:12:04 PM »
Not sure, but personally I would just take out the hard drive, put it into one of those Hard drive cases and then plug it straight into the DAC via usb... provided the DAC has USB of course.  Or wont you have access to the folders then?

Either way the hard drive will need to be taken out for proper formatting and for you to load stuff.

Offline juventino

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 01:14:14 PM »
As far as Im aware you do not have access to the drive at all, you cant even use the USB port to load or access a flash drive.
Time to get back to when I enjoyed listening......no more upgrading, more of a headache than a pleasure

Offline naughty

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 01:47:44 PM »
i think that the decoder uses a proprietary operating system in a proprietary format which cant recognise or be recognised by anything else .... so all you can really do is to remove the drive and format it into a recognisable format and use it in another media player or PC based unit and throw away the rest of the decoder

Not sure, but personally I would just take out the hard drive, put it into one of those Hard drive cases and then plug it straight into the DAC via usb... provided the DAC has USB of course.  Or wont you have access to the folders then?

Either way the hard drive will need to be taken out for proper formatting and for you to load stuff.

a DAC itself wont recognise anything like media stored on a hard drive unless its a streamer unit with a built in DAC but if it's "just a DAC" then it will need something inbetween like a PC based unit or a media player that has some type of operating system or firmware to do the actual decoding and/or recognise the folder and file structure of the hard drive 

Offline ALF

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2018, 02:41:55 PM »
that sucks, so my plan was to connect a small screen via HDMI and then browse the music folders on the drive and play via any good DAC system
"the fostex thang".....

Offline naughty

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2018, 12:05:39 AM »
that sucks, so my plan was to connect a small screen via HDMI and then browse the music folders on the drive and play via any good DAC system

well i dont know what gave you the idea that you would be able to do that  :nfi: because from the beginning M-Net and DSTV decoders were only for content streamed over sattelite transmission and you could never ever access any other content at all .... nor could you get multichoice or M-Net content over alternative devices nor could you really record any of the digital HD content AFAIK - so the decoders always only worked for specific purposes and never ever allowed you to use the hardware for alternative purposes

what you are looking for is a media player not a decoder .... rather sell the decoder if you dont plan on using it and use the proceeds toward a media player (though im not sure you will get too much for the older DSTV decoders because most people still subscribing to DSTV have already gone over to the exploras)

there are plenty of media players that will do what you want as well as play movies and TV series as well - so it will give you access to lots of additional functionality  :thumbs: only downside is that you have to buy the additional device and you cant use what you already have, which as you rightly state definitely sucks because of the additional spending required to do what you want done 

Offline Wolla

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
  • The wife is always right!
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2018, 12:22:31 AM »
You can do all that with a cheap used WD TV Live and even stream too if you want to since they support DLNA too. They all have optical SPdif. I have one that can go for R250 plus shipping.
St Helena Bay
<<< KIT >>>
DIY OB Boombox (TPA3116D2 amps)
PC: Acer Notebook > Audioquest Dragonfly Red > HK GLA55
HP: Audeze iSine 10, LG V20 & V30, Philips SHP-895
Casual: Apple HiFi, Music pillow, Denon Heos 7

Offline Ju_dy@RT

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2018, 07:58:35 AM »
Either way... take out the hard drive. Itís worth a few hundred rand (honestly, I know somebody that salvages them out of broken decoders, pops it into a R100 case and then sells it off for R500)  You wonít get R400 for a secondhand 2p.

Offline MR.C

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2018, 08:58:33 AM »
Either way... take out the hard drive. Itís worth a few hundred rand (honestly, I know somebody that salvages them out of broken decoders, pops it into a R100 case and then sells it off for R500)  You wonít get R400 for a secondhand 2p.
It is an old drive (3.5"), will work mostly in old pc's

{I can help you to post pictures on your posts/ads.  PM me.}

I can help you to post pics for your ads.

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+115)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2018, 10:21:51 AM »
I have taken out a few.  The worst part is the peculiar Torx screws used

The 2P used a 500Gb drive, Explora 1 a 2Tb drive and the Explora 2 uses a 1.5Tb drive.  These are all SATA devices.   

Windows or Mac will prepare and format it in under 5 mins
Even duct tape canít fix stupidÖ but it can muffle the sound