Author Topic: LF. Acoustic cloth.  (Read 453 times)

Offline HBAutomation

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
LF. Acoustic cloth.
« on: June 04, 2018, 09:10:43 AM »
Hi all. Any one know where I can source acoustic cloth(black)? I'll probably need about 3m or so.
Thanx.

When You Come to a Fork in the Road, Take It!            [Yogi Berra]

Offline CAD

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Keep Calm,Be Quiet and Listen to the Music
Re: LF. Acoustic cloth.
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 09:28:24 AM »
Most material shops have and I managed to find some cloth to make speaker grilles at Chamdor in Edenvale.
The way of the warrior is NO match for the way of the wife.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline HBAutomation

• AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 09:43:28 AM »
Thanks CAD.
I've tried here(KZN south coast) and nothing.I'd like to try and get as close to the proper stretchy stuff as possible.
Alternatively if anyone has some spare that I can pay for and ship here please let me know.

Offline Michon

• Trader
  • Trade Count: (+45)
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2018, 10:25:01 AM »
I think I bought some from RSE in Jhb a few years ago. If you donít get anything in KZN I can get some for you at RSE and courier it you.

Offline HBAutomation

• AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2018, 10:37:10 AM »
Thanks Michon.
I left a request on their site and to date have had no response. I'll phone them a bit later and I'll get back to you. :dop:

Offline JonnyP

• Gearslut Pro
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • To the centre of the city in the night
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2018, 04:53:11 PM »
People have suggested motor suppliers (Midas etc.) here before as they may carry it for car stereo applications.  If its only a small grille, get some thick tights from any womens clothing store and cut to size.  For harder wearing ones (that don't ladder as easily when fitting) maybe leggings?
Are you waiting for loneliness to paralyse? Are you waiting for sister midnight to anaesthetise?

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - listen with your ears
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2018, 05:15:40 PM »
I saw textured crimplene at a material shop in Athlone.  At least 12 colours and various weaves.  It can stretch one way more than the other.  And extremely cheap
Even duct tape canít fix stupidÖ but it can muffle the sound

Offline HBAutomation

• AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2018, 06:25:29 PM »
People have suggested motor suppliers (Midas etc.) here before as they may carry it for car stereo applications.  If its only a small grille, get some thick tights from any womens clothing store and cut to size.  For harder wearing ones (that don't ladder as easily when fitting) maybe leggings?
That sounds like a plan. I'll ask my wife to come along for the latter. I might enjoy seeing and working out the pro's and con's re look etc after. :giggle:

Offline HBAutomation

• AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2018, 06:28:14 PM »
I saw textured crimplene at a material shop in Athlone.  At least 12 colours and various weaves.  It can stretch one way more than the other.  And extremely cheap
Thanks chris. I'll check that out too.
Never thaught of crimplene.

Offline JonnyP

• Gearslut Pro
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • To the centre of the city in the night
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2018, 07:26:38 PM »
That sounds like a plan. I'll ask my wife to come along for the latter. I might enjoy seeing and working out the pro's and con's re look etc after. :giggle:

I just went into Woolies and asked about the probability of runs etc.  The assistant was highly amused (and relieved) when I said it was for speakers.  She even suggested a particular denier (something to do with thickness) that she reckoned would work - and it did (bought them cheaper at Spar)
Are you waiting for loneliness to paralyse? Are you waiting for sister midnight to anaesthetise?

Offline thenoizeguy

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2018, 12:02:16 AM »
Large fabric shops. The choice is vast, or car sound installers for the so called "proper " stuff.
I honestly think that any stretchy fabric will be fine.

I recently made grilles for my Sonars and AR's with fabric from Chamdor.
Expensive cables come in fancy silk lined wooden boxes to make you feel better about spending a fortune on them.

Offline adie

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2018, 05:04:43 PM »
If you can breathe ok through it, it should be fine.

Offline stereosane

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2018, 08:29:11 PM »
I can get you some like this, just made some grills for my Arcam speakers. It was pretty cheap as well..

« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 08:32:50 PM by stereosane »

Offline naughty

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2018, 10:39:11 PM »
there are a few places in Central Durban from where i used to get wholesale amounts when i was into car audio installation - though i havent gotten much recently but there is a place in Pine street that i sent Raymond (Coach on the forum) to and he managed to get some (similar to the type that stereosane used on his grilles) .... and then Waste Centre also usually used to always keep a few rolls .... but not sure where they are now - they used to be in Umgeni Road when i used to get from them

im not sure about the name of the place in Pine Street but i will try and find out the name and address (and maybe a phone number so you can call ahead to find out about stock availability) for you over the weekend

but any place that keeps rolls of leather and vinyl and sewing materials will most likely either stock or be able to get decent grille cloth for you

Offline HBAutomation

• AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2018, 09:21:16 AM »
Thanks guys for the advice and kind offers.
I managed to find the exact cloth I was looking for.
I baught 10m of the stuff @ R25.00 pm! Its similar to what Chris described but with a smooth texture.
Its also very easy/forgiving to work with.