Author Topic: Remote batteries that do not leak!  (Read 2347 times)

Offline Crankshaft

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Veteran
Remote batteries that do not leak!
« on: June 02, 2018, 09:47:06 AM »
I used to think that Duracell was a premium alkaline AA or AAA cell, but no more!
I've lost count of the number of remotes that have suffered due to leaky Duracell's.

Sure a regular (good quality) zinc/carbon should be superior, the current draw on a remote control must be very low.

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - listen with your ears
Re: Remote batteries that do not leak!
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2018, 10:18:01 AM »
There are a lot of fake Duracell batteries floating about, indistinguishable from the original.  Street markets sell them.  I have seen them leaking in the packet

Makro sell the real thing.  My alarm component supplier, who sells wireless alarm devices with alkaline batteries, uses either Eveready or Panasonic batteries, the latter when he can get them.  A wireless device with 3 x AA batteries should in theory last 4 years.  They did a few years back.  Now it is recommended to change them once a year

I took out a set of Duracells from a device that had been installed in December 2016. Two of the batteries showed 1.2 volts, one was 0.3 volts, so useless.  This same alarm supplier said you could weigh the batteries to see if they are genuine or not.  I tried that and they were all the same, but you cannot tell by looking

Offline naughty

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2018, 10:30:34 AM »
Nowadays i dont bother with long lasting batteries and just buy rechargeables instead. I have some rechargeables that have lasted over 5 years now even though i have to recharge them every two to three weeks now but some of the newer ones last months (depending on the remote that its used with)

The ones i use in my PC keyboard and mouse definitely last for months at a time before they need to be recharged and i have a mixture of Uniross, GP and Energizer batteries and chargers .... though some of the chargers have already died but using the Energizer charger still works for most of the batteries

As the batteries eventually die completely, im just replacing them with Energizer batteries since i have two Energizer charging units - and the complete kit ie a charger plus 4 energizer AA battery units only costs around R200 or thereabouts vs Duracell which will last 6 months and cost close to around the same (minus a charger) .... these will last at least around 5 years and as i said earlier when they are brand new it takes around 3 months to 6 months before you need to recharge them .... and i havent had one of them leak yet (and im not sure if they do)

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2018, 10:40:52 AM »
There are fake rechargeables around too!   I started buying them at Makro or Clicks.  Then you get 5 years out of them.

One thing to look out for is a "Universal" recharge battery.  These hold their charge when unused far longer

Offline Ingvar Ahlberg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2018, 11:35:27 AM »
Best way is to use ancient equipment without remote facility, then a non problem.

If remote is necessary, GP lithium 1,5V AA and AAA cells are far superior to anything alkaline.

Ingvar
A senile Swedish loudspeakermanufacturer, ponytail and all, why is he here?

Responsible for H.A.D Halland Audio Design and The vacuumed cat Company.

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2018, 11:42:29 AM »
Trouble is, there are many functions only accessible via remote, so you are a bit stuffed if you do not have one.  The old style which just did power and volume is long gone

A good example is the DSTV A6 remote.  The front panel of the receiver has 6 buttons, there are 34 combinations on the remote

Lithium batteries are very good, but sell for a hefty premium over alkaline.

Offline Baseline

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2018, 12:20:54 PM »
I used to think that Duracell was a premium alkaline AA or AAA cell, but no more!
I've lost count of the number of remotes that have suffered due to leaky Duracell's.

Definitely sounds like you were duped into buying fake branded batteries. I have never had a leaking battery in any remote device. Functionality becomes problematic due to run down battery, simply replace and discard the old without any signs of leakage. I have predominantly used Eveready and Duracell over the years.
.It's all about the Music.

Offline thenoizeguy

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2018, 12:37:37 PM »
I use rechargables daily for my work. Uniross and GP mainly.  I go through about 30 AA's and AAA's per day, recharge overnight and they are good to go the next day again.
They last for at least 2 years of almost daily recharging before they slowly lose power.
I have done comparison tests with the Uniross Hybrio 2100Mha against Duracells and Energizer Alkalines, and in the products i use ( radio mics and headphones ), the difference is minimal.
6 to 7 hours on Rechargeables , 8 hours on Alkalines. 2400Mha would most probably be on par with the good alkalines.
It's a no brainer
Expensive cables come in fancy silk lined wooden boxes to make you feel better about spending a fortune on them.

Offline naughty

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2018, 01:01:54 PM »
There are fake rechargeables around too!   I started buying them at Makro or Clicks.  Then you get 5 years out of them.

One thing to look out for is a "Universal" recharge battery.  These hold their charge when unused far longer

Makro or Clicks is probably a good place to get them from but i get mine from Govan Mani who have a few branches in Durban - and they keep the good stuff because i have had no issues with anything i buy from these guys and for some things the pricing is better than even Makro but definitely generally better on almost everything than Clicks

though in terms of pricing with certain things its going to have Universal pricing wherever you buy them from but Govan Mani is sometimes prepared to work with you on pricing .... especially if you are a regular customer

Offline crasher

• AVForums Member
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2018, 03:23:29 PM »

Offline Ingvar Ahlberg

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2018, 04:07:23 PM »
Trouble is, there are many functions only accessible via remote, so you are a bit stuffed if you do not have one.

Tried all there is, some expensive ones, no one can lift the Stax UA70 arm on my TTS 3000 record player, not even adjust level on the GAS Thaedra preamp, when pressing the "menue, source and reset" buttons simultaneusly i managed tho start the car theft alarm and the fire alarm plus making the TV to shut down every time Donald Trump appears on screen, good remote!

Ingvar
A senile Swedish loudspeakermanufacturer, ponytail and all, why is he here?

Responsible for H.A.D Halland Audio Design and The vacuumed cat Company.

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2018, 01:58:17 PM »
I have a useful button for when Donald Trump appears on screen.   Its called "mute"

Offline asr001

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2018, 02:12:56 PM »
I switched all AA and AAA batteries in the house to rechargeables a few years ago. Much better for the environment as most batteries end up in land fills and cause subsequent pollution. I also think its cheaper in the long run instead of buying disposables all the time (and the inconvenience when running out of batteries). After some research I imported a batch of eneloop rechargeable batteries (made by Panasonic). Never looked back - never run out of batteries, not a single one has failed / leaked / degraded in performance over >3 years of use.  The great thing is that they hold their charge well in storage too so they are always ready to go..Not sure about local availability but believe RS Components may have....In the remotes I have (DSTV, AV, CD, TV..) they last at least 8 months but generally more around 12 months without needing a charge....

Offline rodga

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2018, 02:14:46 PM »
Another +1 for eneloops, have about 16 running in various items at home for about 5 or so years now...

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Offline Ampdog

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2018, 02:39:38 PM »
A very useful thread indeed. I will ask moderators to make this a sticky?

I am also using a mixture of rechargable and 'normal' cells and have been blessed (so it seems!) with not having had any problems. Yes, I have seen the odd Duracell leak, but wrote that off to quality checking (or rather the lack of). I have found a spread in the time some will 'hold' the charge - not quite the A.h specified, but then use in a remote is rather off the usual current draw.

Lithium: I have used lots of these when still employed at the CSIR. They are ideally suited to long shelf life (- up  to 20 years!) We could test up to 10 years, which was successful. (The brand was 'Thadiran') But I would not imagine for normal domestic application, because of the cost; at the time some 15X the price of equivalent Duracells. 
Audio must be the only branch of engineering where lack of basics' knowledge is considered a superior form of wisdom. (Anon)