Old new speakers

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AudioRecycle

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Hello

I can get my hands on some speakers so I want to give speaker box building a go. I assume it can be quite difficult to get the acoustics right but I am sure there should be software that can help one to design the volume of the box etc. Can anyone suggest such software please.

And do one build boxes from plywood, chipboard. Is it good enough material?

Then also. The speakers that I can get are Coral speakers. They are quite old but still in their original packaging. My guess is late 60's early 70's. It has not being used. The speakers are:
2 x Coral 15L-2 hi-fi woofers such as these. http://www.hifido.co.jp/sold/?KW=&G=0204&LNG=E&O=500&L=50&C=15-00163-57561-00
2 x Coral MHD55
2 x Coral MD60

I wonder if the materials used in the speakers perish over time even if they are not used. The speakers are almost 50 years old. This question for me is the real deal breaker. I would like to here the opinion of other forum members.

My guess is also that these speakers are not all the speakers one would need to build a proper speaker box. Can one mix and match different brands?

Thank you for your advice