Musical Fidelity M6i Output

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nico V

AVForums Veteran
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Guys

I drive a pair of Jamo d590's (200Watts RMS, 4 Ohms) with a Musical Fidelity M6i (200Watts RMS @ 8 Ohms).

I very rarely listen to it loud so it normally hovers at the 10 o'clock position. But when i go up to 11 o'clock the system starts yielding a slight distortion which appears to be visible across the entire frequency band.

Specs on the amp are really hard to find. Even the manual provides info on a KGB need to know kinda way. I don't know what its power output would be at the 4 ohms that the speakers are rated at. It could/should probably be >200Watts RMS. So, in short, I don't know if the amp might be too powerful for the speakers - current wise (45 Volts per channel, 45 Amps per channel).

I used to drive them with Rotel 240 Watts @ 8Ohms (approx 360 Watts @ 4 Ohms) with no such issues. But i think the amps and volts from the rotel were lower.

It's always been my experience that it's preferable that your amp's output should be spec'ed higher than the speakers it's driving for better control and more headroom. It however doesn't appear to be the case now.

Any insights?

Thx

Latest posts