Author Topic: Steam Punk Atmos  (Read 8514 times)

Offline Jason Willemse

Re: Steam Punk Atmos
« Reply #120 on: July 08, 2018, 05:07:44 PM »
Its a fantastic idea, and it looks very good in reality.   The only criticism I have (from a design perspective) is with that tv wall and it's many "interrupted" lines.  I also feel that it would look a bit better if u didnt mount your CD-holders and other stuff on this wall, but please don't let my niggles with 1 wall get in the way of what is ultimately a very aesthetically pleasing result overall.

Noted. The boxes serve a little purpose too in breaking reflections a little. I may reconsider later as they are indeed a product of the previous install, partially removed to accommodate the copper.

The current tv will be coming down as well as the projector to make way for a 75. Will see what happens from there.

Its been a rough 3 weeks that have seen progress coming to a halt - my dad having had a heart-attack and emergency triple bypass whilst traveling abroad. Arrived back yesterday and all is well.

Shopping for options in a 4k player, I went shopping and ended up purchasing an Xbox One X. Must say an impressive piece of kit! Enjoying Netflix atmos and playing games with my sons delaying things!!!!

As always, Im humbled by the wonderful comments posted by my fellow forum members.

Will keep you posted as progress happens. 🤙

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline naughty

« Reply #121 on: July 08, 2018, 07:31:01 PM »
if you dont mind me pointing out one small technical issue that i would have addressed though is the rear speakers being so high - i would have gotten them in line with the surround back ie much lower down than where they currently are placed and more-or-less where you have some of your sound treatment panels - this is because having any rear speakers as high as that for Atmos will affect the sound placement coming from your speakers

initially with normal 7.1 the higher up they were the better it placed your surround effects - but with Atmos the rears and surround backs have to be at around ear level mostly because height effects are catered for by ceiling mounted speakers

but basically if the room doesnt allow for that then its understandable but i feel that your room would have allowed for you to place those speakers lower .... no matter though ie you can try it as it is and if it affects the placement of sound effects then im sure you can rectify it easily but dont do your final room painting until you finalise speaker placement .... just my opinion

other than for that one small issue its an excellent job and i really like your results  :thumbs:
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 07:34:12 PM by naughty »

Offline Jason Willemse

« Reply #122 on: July 08, 2018, 09:24:02 PM »
if you dont mind me pointing out one small technical issue that i would have addressed though is the rear speakers being so high - i would have gotten them in line with the surround back ie much lower down than where they currently are placed and more-or-less where you have some of your sound treatment panels - this is because having any rear speakers as high as that for Atmos will affect the sound placement coming from your speakers

initially with normal 7.1 the higher up they were the better it placed your surround effects - but with Atmos the rears and surround backs have to be at around ear level mostly because height effects are catered for by ceiling mounted speakers

but basically if the room doesnt allow for that then its understandable but i feel that your room would have allowed for you to place those speakers lower .... no matter though ie you can try it as it is and if it affects the placement of sound effects then im sure you can rectify it easily but dont do your final room painting until you finalise speaker placement .... just my opinion

other than for that one small issue its an excellent job and i really like your results  :thumbs:

As can be seen in this pic posted at the beginning of the thread, the room does not allow for it.

The rears are at ear height, but surround L and R aligned higher. The room is also wide, and in testing the scenario, works very well.

Offline Jason Willemse

« Reply #123 on: July 12, 2018, 01:49:44 PM »
Happy days! After waiting a fair while, the speakers I have been wanting for use in the ATMOS channels will be in my paws tonight, through a forum member for whose offer Im thankful. Anyone for 10? These are some serious overkill, but will make a wonderful addition to the system and keep within the speaker brand.

An interesting concept has finally been completed on the cabinet design for these channels, as they are on a concrete slab ceiling. Will share at a later stage, the design and fabrication.

In the meantime, the right side of the room copper work is in progress.

Offline Jason Willemse

« Reply #124 on: July 13, 2018, 10:13:37 AM »
The atmos pods. Previous designs became over-complicated, so have simplified. The pods will be manufactured if layered MDF, smoothed and finished off with white spray-paint.

Ive rounded off any hard edges to allow it to blend into the roof a bit better.

Offline Mars67

« Reply #125 on: July 13, 2018, 11:25:40 AM »
Wow Jason. It is coming out even better than I had imagined.

Offline Kruger.vdMerwe

« Reply #126 on: July 18, 2018, 12:51:56 AM »
Hi Jason, check this link out... would fit in your setup?

https://www.jamesloudspeaker.com/products/288

Steampunk loudspeakers..

Offline Jason Willemse

« Reply #127 on: July 18, 2018, 08:09:09 AM »
Hi Jason, check this link out... would fit in your setup?

https://www.jamesloudspeaker.com/products/288

Steampunk loudspeakers..
Thank you for that! Very unusual and would look great in my system. Has given me some super cool ideas!!!!

Offline Jason Willemse

« Reply #128 on: July 21, 2018, 03:41:45 PM »
These are the atmos pods being built for the roof. Rather big buggers, but reckon they are going to be awesome.!

Offline PaganMcLoud

« Reply #129 on: July 21, 2018, 05:54:46 PM »
They do look big yes but I think it will "add" something to the overall effect of the room.  You had a choice to downplay this, or accentuate it... having these "small"  would've made it look more like a "means to an end."  Going "big" was the better choice I believe.  I also like that you went with "round" for the shape, else everything in the room would've been too box-y. 

Am curious as to what colour you'll be using to finish these.  Have u decided on this yet? 
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 06:04:16 PM by PaganMcLoud »
From the Dalai Lama:  Cables in allegory, are the "umbilical cord" or thread between life and afterlife. The quality of such life depends on the "source" of the energy, and not on the stitch or the thread...

Offline Jason Willemse

« Reply #130 on: July 21, 2018, 06:47:00 PM »
They do look big yes but I think it will "add" something to the overall effect of the room.  You had a choice to downplay this, or accentuate it... having these "small"  would've made it look more like a "means to an end."  Going "big" was the better choice I believe.  I also like that you went with "round" for the shape, else everything in the room would've been too box-y. 

Am curious as to what colour you'll be using to finish these.  Have u decided on this yet? 
My thoughts too. I wanted these to match the rest in performance, and Im really glad I did! The finish will have a base coat, and finished in white in the same texture as this:

The speaker with grill in white, will blend into the ceiling, more so with rounded edges (not yet done in previous pics).

Offline PaganMcLoud

« Reply #131 on: July 21, 2018, 07:27:12 PM »
Honestly, colours are a matter of personal choice.  Nothing at all wrong with going white on these.  In fact, it was my 1st thought also, but after some thought I thought (lol) it would also look great (as in more bold a statement) if paint choice was metallic and in the same "copper" as your piping.  Just thought I'd share that with you, but the white is more understated, and will also look gr8 imo.
From the Dalai Lama:  Cables in allegory, are the "umbilical cord" or thread between life and afterlife. The quality of such life depends on the "source" of the energy, and not on the stitch or the thread...

Offline Jason Willemse

« Reply #132 on: July 21, 2018, 08:08:25 PM »
Finally here...

Offline Jason Willemse

« Reply #133 on: July 22, 2018, 09:51:35 AM »
Copper finished, and the final cable drawn early this morning. Reaching this milestone in the project was desperately needed, as Im now able to start the cleaning up part of things, attend to the last bits and pieces , the cabinet and other touch-ups. It took longer, was more more complex and a whole lot more difficult than I expected, but I am really happy with the result.

Online Gerlach

« Reply #134 on: July 22, 2018, 10:34:34 AM »
Jason, it looks really good man!!!  :thumbs: A lot of time and money that went in to this.
Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows. (Walter Rhrl)