Author Topic: Steam Punk Atmos  (Read 8572 times)

Online Jason Willemse

Steam Punk Atmos
« on: May 24, 2018, 02:42:08 PM »
I may just take a burn here...

Iím thinking of a pretty radical idea, so bear with me.

The dilemma of speaker cabling for complex atmos systems is one that often plagues. My particular room, was built around simple 5.1 as far as chased trunking goes. Having a slab ceiling leaves little options further.

The norm is to hide cables where possible. What if one were to go in the complete opposite direction, and show it all!

A picture follows, and donít mock my efforts to make it pretty! (Gotta sell this to the wife!)

The idea is to do an exposed trunking system out of copper pipe and attachments, all mounted an inch or so from the surface. Room decor will be complimentary.

Ok... let the burn begin!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline AnarchyR

Re: Steam Punk Atmos
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 02:57:47 PM »
Honestly if you are going to be using transparent cased flat wire and can make it look exactly like your diagram it will look rather cool, as long as its rather tidy thou

Thats my opinion and my differ to another.... potato - patata   

Online Jason Willemse

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 02:59:26 PM »
Honestly if you are going to be using transparent cased flat wire and can make it look exactly like your diagram it will look rather cool, as long as its rather tidy thou

Thats my opinion and my differ to another.... potato - patata
Thanks. Agreed though - it would have to be executed with perfect precision.

Offline Ju_dy@RT

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 03:00:33 PM »
I'm keen to see the outcome.... but boy... copper... It's ganna be EXPENSIVE.  Like so...

Offline RaWKiS_CT

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 03:00:43 PM »
this executed properly with the correct floor, wall and roof treatment could good look damn good but its going to be quite a bit of work i suspect.

Online Jason Willemse

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2018, 03:01:23 PM »
I'm keen to see the outcome.... but boy... copper... It's ganna be EXPENSIVE.  Like so...

Something like that!

Offline AnarchyR

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2018, 03:01:43 PM »
Steam Punk Atmos - is exactly what it will be  :thumbs:

Online Jason Willemse

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2018, 03:01:49 PM »
this executed properly with the correct floor, wall and roof treatment could good look damn good but its going to be quite a bit of work i suspect.
Loads of work I know, but a fun and rewarding project.

Online Steerpike

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2018, 06:48:23 PM »
WHO is going to polish that copper when it gets a coating of verdegris?

Offline Des Miles

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2018, 07:22:53 PM »
Love steampunk! Will look great, go for it. You can incorporate the theme into the lighting as well. The copper pipe and other copper fittings can be buffed up and then coated (sprayed) with clear lacquer, stay shinny for years.     

Offline 2wice

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2018, 09:17:46 PM »
WHO is going to polish that copper when it gets a coating of verdegris?

Clear varnish?

Online Jason Willemse

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2018, 10:20:16 PM »
Clear varnish?
Was thinking that, perhaps once sized and fitted have them all clear coated in 2k. Still looking at options and costs, but getting inspired by the positive response!

Online naughty

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2018, 12:17:29 AM »
i think it will look great  :thumbs:

things that look great are generally worth the cost  ;)

Offline Ju_dy@RT

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2018, 08:10:30 AM »
^^+1000... especially if you are doing it for YOU.... and you are planning to live with it for a good number of years.

But if Iím you, Iíd definitely go coppper... donít be tempted to go for cheaper galvanized alternative. Although it could probably given the right amount of effort look good (albeit ďdifferentĒ) it will be worth almost nothing when you change your mind and rip  it out a few years from now. At least with copper, given appreciation, you will get most of your money (not time) back. With THAT amount of effort it should at least have tangible value.

So IMHO If your house and personal style lends  to it ... Go for it!!!

Ps: I think the secret for a more premium look would be  a higher than average roof/ceiling.

Offline mygoggie

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2018, 08:53:19 AM »
Copper will work. I have done this many times. It is useless to polish and use clear lacquer from a rattle can. You will spend about a day polishing one length of 20mm pipe and the clear lacquer will last about 10 months and then flake off. You need to coat it with very good automotive clear coat otherwise you are wasting your time.

Also prevent any short bends as you cannot feed the wires through these if you have two or more. Use a bending spring and pipe bender to create long radius bends.

No need to solder the pieces together. Once a clear coat has been applied to the pipes, you will have a press fit into the solder joining pieces.

Do not saw the pipes to length. Use a quality pipe cutter and expand the flattened inside lip with smooth rod. An old 4x4 shock's shaft works great.

Have fun!
Herman

~ To heal the soul is to embark on a new journey. ~