Author Topic: Asio4all and foobar  (Read 456 times)

Offline eldene

Asio4all and foobar
« on: May 20, 2018, 08:33:39 PM »
Good evening guys
I have been struggling for a while now to get Asio to work on my laptop via my Rega Dac.
The moment i choose Asio as my output it stops playing through my system and then the sound comes directly from my laptop.
I am sure that i never had this problem in the past.
Sometimes it plays through the system but very scratchy.
Wasapi works fine but sometimes also sounds scatchy
Any help would be appreciated
Thank you
Don't try and fool an old fool

Offline Dubya Jay Dee

Re: Asio4all and foobar
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 09:34:01 PM »
Have you checked the ASIO output settings?

File - Preferences - Output - Asio --- double click the Asio driver and in the window select the Rega outputs.

For crackling/ stuttering try increasing the buffer length.

Don't bother with ASIO if Wasapi works for you.

Try both Wasapi (event) and Wasapi (push) modes. Some dacs have a problem with event mode and latest Windows 10 updates are also screwing things around.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 09:36:56 PM by Dubya Jay Dee »

Offline eldene

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 11:16:09 PM »
This is what i get after following your instructions..
Wasapi event plays perfect with output format at 16 bit

Sent from my SM-A720F using Tapatalk

Offline Dubya Jay Dee

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 12:46:27 AM »
OK, now click on the "button" to the left of "HD Audio Speaker" to switch off the PC's internal sound, then click on the red x next to USB audio Dac to switch on the Rega Dac output via Asio.

Back in the Foobar Preferences Output window try 16, 24 (and 32 if available) bit depth in Output Data Format window - use the highest one that works for either Asio or Wasapi.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 12:51:15 AM by Dubya Jay Dee »

Offline eldene

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 09:51:18 AM »
OK, now click on the "button" to the left of "HD Audio Speaker" to switch off the PC's internal sound, then click on the red x next to USB audio Dac to switch on the Rega Dac output via Asio.

Back in the Foobar Preferences Output window try 16, 24 (and 32 if available) bit depth in Output Data Format window - use the highest one that works for either Asio or Wasapi.
Okay first of all Jay Dee i want to thank you for your assistance, and i hope one day i could be of assistance to you.
So i managed to get Asio to play through my system  but still sounds  scratchy no matter how i set the buffer it makes no difference at all . Wasapi event plays perfect ,but only up to 16 bit at 24 it gives an error.

Offline seeyou

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2018, 10:02:45 AM »
If this is the original Rega DAC and not the DAC-R - you are limited to 16bit on the USB input.

Offline eldene

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018, 10:36:04 AM »
Hi . Yes its not the dac R.
If this is the original Rega DAC and not the DAC-R - you are limited to 16bit on the USB input.

Offline Dubya Jay Dee

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2018, 10:36:58 AM »
Okay first of all Jay Dee i want to thank you for your assistance, and i hope one day i could be of assistance to you.
So i managed to get Asio to play through my system  but still sounds  scratchy no matter how i set the buffer it makes no difference at all . Wasapi event plays perfect ,but only up to 16 bit at 24 it gives an error.

:thumbs:

Had a look at the specs of the original Rega Dac and it is only 16 bit and 44.1 or 48khz sample rate via the USB input as seeyou said.

The other inputs can handle up to 24 bits 192 khz. (At the time (circa 2011) they employed an adaptive usb interface which is not quite as good as later asyncrhonous usb.) 

If you want the best via USB the only option is to get an asynchronous USB to spdif converter. That said, I would think that being Rega it should be fine as is if you only listen to normal 16bit 44.1khz cd quality files.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 10:39:10 AM by Dubya Jay Dee »

Offline eldene

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2018, 04:18:31 PM »
I normally rip my cd's in flac i don't do any streaming at all not yet. So is the fact that it only does 16 bit and 44.1 the reason why Asio is not working properly?  Maybe its time for an upgrade on my dac.
:thumbs:

Had a look at the specs of the original Rega Dac and it is only 16 bit and 44.1 or 48khz sample rate via the USB input as seeyou said.

The other inputs can handle up to 24 bits 192 khz. (At the time (circa 2011) they employed an adaptive usb interface which is not quite as good as later asyncrhonous usb.) 

If you want the best via USB the only option is to get an asynchronous USB to spdif converter. That said, I would think that being Rega it should be fine as is if you only listen to normal 16bit 44.1khz cd quality files.

Offline Dubya Jay Dee

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2018, 04:32:44 PM »
I normally rip my cd's in flac i don't do any streaming at all not yet. So is the fact that it only does 16 bit and 44.1 the reason why Asio is not working properly?  Maybe its time for an upgrade on my dac.

Your dac is great - uninstall Asio4All and just use Wasapi - it is best where there is no native Asio driver from the manufacturer.

Asio is only needed when you need low latency, i.e. in a recording studio setup - you don't need it.

Offline eldene

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2018, 08:25:36 PM »
i would agree with you Wasapi is good enough for me at this stage.
Thank you

Offline Dubya Jay Dee

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2018, 09:22:13 PM »
i would agree with you Wasapi is good enough for me at this stage.
Thank you

It's not a compromise - quality of sound is exactly the same as Asio - just a slightly different implementation. It is still "bit-perfect" when it gets to the dac.

Offline eldene

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2018, 08:57:14 PM »
It's not a compromise - quality of sound is exactly the same as Asio - just a slightly different implementation. It is still "bit-perfect" when it gets to the dac.
For sure ,yes i understand they say its the same. So i have decided not to bother with asio.
Thanks again

Online naughty

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2018, 12:08:24 AM »
For sure ,yes i understand they say its the same. So i have decided not to bother with asio.
Thanks again

The only time you desperately have to have ASIO is if you wish to play DSD - because that wont play with WASAPI and you have to get ASIO working for DSD but then a DSD enabled DAC will have its own ASIO driver so if you do start getting DSD files then you will have to obviously get a new DSD enabled DAC and most modern/current DACs will play ASIO with no hassles - in fact even newer portable DACs do ASIO with zero issues