Loud clicking noise on Denon when changing channel levels - is this a problem?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PAPPA3

AVForums Grandmaster
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
Just got a Denon AVR-X4100W.  Great amp.  But I found that it makes a loud audible click when changing the channel levels when doing a manual speaker setup.  When I scroll down from Surround back L to Surround L to F Height R speakers there is a loud click.  It sounds almost mechanical.  It causes the speakers to pop when scrolling up or down.  To eliminate all possible interference, I disconnected all other power sources.  I even removed the speaker cables from those channels.  The amp still makes the sound.

It also makes a popping sound over some of the channels when I change sources, so it is a source (excuse the pun) of irritation.  I can't live with a loud pop everytime I change from one source to another.

When connected to a power amp, the sound is of course even louder.  I am going to disconnect it because I don't want to blow a speaker.  Just before I put in the Denon, I had a Marantz SR7005 installed in the same way.  I didn't have any problems.  Everything so far points to the Denon being the culprit.  The channel levels are not set too high.  Basically the only thing that has changed in my system is taking the Marantz out and putting the Denon in.

Anyone experienced this before?  Any suggestions as to what could be the cause?