Author Topic: Bass Null  (Read 1406 times)

Offline Gman

Re: Bass Null
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2019, 09:19:18 AM »
Thanks, this is my biggest problem at the moment. There is a almost painful negative pressure hole in my bass right in the centre of my listening position. If i sit to either side of the couch, I can hear more bass. The corners also have very loud, booming bass in the 40-60hz region. At the moment, all my walls are bare and the ceiling is too. Only thin curtain at the back of the room and a thick carpet on the floor.

Any tips for temporary testing materials to use to figure out whats going on? I was thinking about moving a foam mattress around the room to see if this helps at all.

Also, I heard multiple subwoofers in off-centre positions could fill in some of the nulls.

Offline Jason Willemse

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2019, 02:56:16 PM »
Thanks, this is my biggest problem at the moment. There is a almost painful negative pressure hole in my bass right in the centre of my listening position. If i sit to either side of the couch, I can hear more bass. The corners also have very loud, booming bass in the 40-60hz region. At the moment, all my walls are bare and the ceiling is too. Only thin curtain at the back of the room and a thick carpet on the floor.

Any tips for temporary testing materials to use to figure out whats going on? I was thinking about moving a foam mattress around the room to see if this helps at all.

Also, I heard multiple subwoofers in off-centre positions could fill in some of the nulls.
It would be most helpful if we could understand your layout in the room, with detailed information such as windows, doorways and speaker positions.

Sounds to me like the first issue is a speaker positioning one, before you go to further trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline windshear

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2019, 07:27:54 PM »
Ummm if its smack bang in the middle of the room between the speakers then you have one of the bass drivers out of phase, or possibly a complete speaker. It should be loudest between both speakers.

Online The kock

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • AVForums Member
  • "I live, I Love, I slay!!" Conan the barbarian!
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2019, 10:18:44 AM »
Ummm if its smack bang in the middle of the room between the speakers then you have one of the bass drivers out of phase, or possibly a complete speaker. It should be loudest between both speakers.

Should be but some rooms create havoc.

Phasing good place to start.....

Welcome to a frustrating place i was there not long ago

Offline windshear

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2019, 11:06:45 AM »
Should be but some rooms create havoc.

Welcome to a frustrating place i was there not long ago

Every room has problems, but what he describes is not the room. Its very easy to test and confirm what is at fault here. obviously it cant be too bad otherwise the poster would have done something about it or reported back.

ps , try this if you can. If you have  external binding posts that's accommodate biwiring. just flip the feed to the bass driver on one speaker, then play something and stand in the middle of the speakers, you will find out what a "painfull" null is, not a room null.

Offline stereoholic

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2019, 03:23:23 PM »
[quote

[/quote]

How does one do this ?