6L6GC Single Ended amplifier with first attempt OPT

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mars

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
Hi All

While it has become quite a busy season, I wanted an amp to listen to while I work ;D I had an chassis with PT and choke in the workshop, so I thought I'd try out the OPT I wound a few months back for a client, who changed his mind and went for the push-pull amp.

I only had a pair of 12AU7 in the workshop, so I mounted them as a SRPP with 250V on the top plate and 10mA running through each triode.

The sound was promising, and my companion of the last few months (SANSUI AU101) is up for sale.

But the 12AU7 was just not delivering the goods. I needed about a gain of 30X to drive the 6L6's properly.

BTW the 6L6GC's are connected ultra linear (43% tap) with cathode feedback from the secondary winding on the OPT.

A good friend (Pieter de Kock) gave me some 6DJ8's. This seemed to be the tube for the job. I scanned the net for a mu-follower example and found this from Tubecad site:

4948927597_8ce07a0e68.jpg

I have a SS rectifier C-L-C-R-C power supply. All caps 100uF 500V. I must say that the sound is great.

The speakers are KEF Q floor standers Wessel lent me; very good sounding boxes!