MARBELITE or FIBERGLASS - Swimming pool coating

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juventino

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
We currently have a fibre glass pool and we have found a leak in our pool caused by broken piping, a crack by the weir and areas of the mosaic lining that have lifted causing water to get in between the lining.

I have been avoiding the refurb for a while now due to the cost but now with the pipe leak and the crack it has become unavoidable.
We have been quoted the MARBELITE or FIBER GLASS options and there is only a 4k difference between the 2 but I have never had to do this and dont know anyone that has done this either. So to all the pool owners that have had to refurb which option have you gone with? Ive thought about filling it with sand but during summer we enjoy the pool and we have a 1yr old that im sure is going to enjoy it just as much.

The company that quoted me advised I should go the MArbelite route as it will last longer than the Fiber Glass and they are offering a longer guarantee on the Marbelite than the Fiber glass. BUT I have read that Marbelite is more difficult to maintain as it is more porous, stains very easily and will require more chemicals than a fiber glass pool.

Also when the pool was originally installed for some reason the Weir and outlet jet was installed on the opposite end to where to pool pump is so all the piping was installed under the paving so instead of digging up Im going to get them to cover the old weir and outlet jet and put a new Weir and outlet jet on the end closer to the pump on the grass side saving 9m of piping and create a gulley for the piping so if there is any leaks we avoid any digging in the future and save costs as we would have to re-pave and re-tile.

We are going to be doing this in Mid June/July so have time to make a decision and do more research but any advise and input is always informative in helping to make a decision.