Author Topic: Pass Amp Camp v1.6  (Read 165 times)

Online Nidri

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Don't panic.
Pass Amp Camp v1.6
« on: May 09, 2018, 06:51:24 PM »
Pre-orders are now open for the latest (upgraded v1.6) batch of Pass Amp Camps.

https://diyaudiostore.com/collections/frontpage/products/amp-camp-amp-kit?variant=7072933085218

I've never built anything electronic in my life, but I am somewhat tempted.
Good idea for a first build? Or not?

Offline vinyljan

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Finishing projects
Re: Pass Amp Camp v1.6
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 06:32:35 AM »

I've never built anything electronic in my life, but I am somewhat tempted.
Good idea for a first build? Or not?

If you look at the idea/philosophy  of the "Amp Camp",  I think it is an excellent project to start with.  Seems to be proper step by step guidance available on the Net, also guys here that I'm sure will help if you need it.  Start with the basic stereo kit..... you will enjoy it as a final product.  Just be meticulous with every step/direction of components/wiring etc and don't rush to get finished.  If the upgrade or DIY bug bites you're already halfway to your next project. 

There is so much enjoyment in DIY, and the ROI (money and time wise) is amazing :2c:
In a maximum bank turn in a normal category airplane, like a typical Cessna, everything is fine until you turn across your own wake

Offline PsyCLown

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: Pass Amp Camp v1.6
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 08:24:07 AM »
It is tempting to get and build this amp too, such an awesome little kit and 5w to 7w output is actually a fair bit for majority of people with reasonably sensitive speakers (90dB or more).

Unfortunately I already have some Class D boards on their way and plan on doing a Class AB build too.
I have no doubt that this kit would be tons of fun and excellent for a beginner, however I fear that it will not be used enough by me and since I plan on going active I would need at least 4 channels and that drives the price up quite a bit - especially considering I will not be needing it with the other 2 amps.

Ndiri, I say if you are looking for an amp and want to get into DIY it would be a great way to start. The SMPS will make life much easier too.
Amps:
DSP: MiniDSP NanoAVR HDA & UMIK
Speakers:DIY Full Range Phillips AD12202 & Speakerplan's X15 on loan
Sub: DIY 12" ported & Peerless 10" Sealed on loan
Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT770 LE