Author Topic: Streaming equipment options  (Read 1747 times)

Offline PSZN

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Junior Member
Streaming equipment options
« on: May 08, 2018, 09:20:54 AM »
Morning All

Im looking for the best way to stream Tidal through my receiver.

My limited knowledge has narrowed it down to the following;

Upgrade to a network receiver like the Denon Avr-x1400H.
My thinking is that Tidal can stream directly through the receiver, so no extra connections.

My next option would be the Nvidia shield, which has the added benefit of video streaming.

And lastly with a pc, via a Dac.

Apologies if this has been covered before.

Offline Drifter

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • otherside of the Boerewors Gordyn ...
Re: Streaming equipment options
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 05:07:22 PM »
"Best way" is subjective.

Cheaper options than the ones you mentioned are possible such as buying a little blue tooth receiver and streaming Tidal from your smartphone, tablet or pc via blue tooth to it. No need to change any equipment, you just need a spare set of inputs on your current amp.

If you have an iPad or iPhone, another option is to connect via Airplay to an Airplay compatible amp or AVR and stream to the amp. If you don't have an Airplay compatible AVR you can get a Airport Express or even Apple TV to connect the AVR.

Cheapest is to simply hook your phone up the AVR via cable to the Aux input and run Tidal off your phone.

"Audiophile" would be to get Roon, integrate Tidal into it and get a Roon endpoint (Squeezebox or Raspberry Pi) hooked up to your amp.

Offline Dolby

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
    • Affordable Home Automation
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 12:21:41 PM »
I use a Bluesound Node 2, specifically for Tidal too.

Advantage is an MQA DAC, so 24 bit / up to 192Khz on selected tracks

Offline Music_Lover

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 04:17:25 PM »
I have been using this https://www.cellularmall.co.za/bluetooth-transmitter-and-receiver.html optical out into a Audio-Gd R2R11 DAC and I am pretty happy. I almost never listen critically and I find apt-x does make a difference. It is a breeze to get working. The sound is more than acceptable for me although audiophiles generally eschew Bluetooth.

Midrand

Offline kolakidd

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2018, 08:02:45 PM »
Cheap Option: Raspberry Pi 3/b + Dac Hat from PiShop + Moode Audio (Free and has Tidal Integration)

Controller can be any tablet, phone or laptop that can run Lumin, Linn Kazoo, or any other UpNP end point controllers.

Offline PSZN

• AVForums Junior Member
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2018, 10:21:57 AM »
Thanks for all the reply's.

I'm trying to wrap my head around the Raspberry Pi.

As far as I understand, you buy the Pi board, do you then purchase a sound card to go with it?

Offline ALLO

• AVForums Member
    • ALLO.com
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2018, 09:54:18 AM »
hi there...
since nobody is replying i will.   :EGrin:

yes, you buy the RPI and then you buy the Digital to Analog converter "HAT" card which connects on top of the RPI.
there is a digital SPdif output option .

we manufacture these cards and as mentioned above, in ZA, you can buy from PIshop.

you can then customize with a case and have a complete product.

regards
Andre
CMO
ALLO.com
kali / boss / digione / usbridge and more...

Offline Yossarian

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2018, 04:08:32 PM »
I have a Denon so strongly recommend that option if you are keen for an upgrade.

If you want to save money Google chrome cast audio is your best bet around R850 I think. you can order on Geewiz.

I will cast Tidal, Spotify Deezer I think almost any app except itunes to the chromecast which you can connect with into your amps analog inputs with a 3.5mm to analog cable again R50 maybe on take alot or geewiz. if your amp has a 3.5mm in you can just use the supplied cable.

As a bonus, if you are really worried about SQ and have a DAC you can use the optical out cable (bought separately).

Honestly, this is your best bet if you don't want to spend on a new amp, Chromecast works very well and won't suffer from degradation in sound quality like Bluetooth does.

If your receiver has an HDMI in you can use the normal chrome cast and see the album art on your tv with the added bonus of being able to cast video apps as well like Netflix, youtube etc. Around R800 (double that if you want a 4k compatible one)

https://www.geewiz.co.za/media-players/19528-2015-google-chromecast-audio-digital-media-streamer.html

https://www.geewiz.co.za/media-players/19066-new-2015-google-chromecast-hdmi-streaming-media-player-2nd-gen.html?search_query=chromecast&results=17

Offline ron g

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2018, 02:09:15 PM »

something like a network player may be very clean & simple, provided you stick with services supported by the player. if at some stage you want to change to a niche supplier, it may not be supported.
they can also be surprisingly pricey relative to the benefit & functionality.
the support & app availability aspect can also affect streaming boxes, depending on how flexible they are.

an alternative to the normal endpoint / raspberry pi / laptop solution could be to use an old cellphone into a usb dac in some manner, with the controller being your current phone.

is it just me or have bitcoin people gone a bitquiet because its a bitdown? #bitter

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+43)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2018, 05:20:34 PM »
I have a Denon so strongly recommend that option if you are keen for an upgrade.

If you want to save money Google chrome cast audio is your best bet around R850 I think. you can order on Geewiz.

I will cast Tidal, Spotify Deezer I think almost any app except itunes to the chromecast which you can connect with into your amps analog inputs with a 3.5mm to analog cable again R50 maybe on take alot or geewiz. if your amp has a 3.5mm in you can just use the supplied cable.

As a bonus, if you are really worried about SQ and have a DAC you can use the optical out cable (bought separately).

Honestly, this is your best bet if you don't want to spend on a new amp, Chromecast works very well and won't suffer from degradation in sound quality like Bluetooth does.

If your receiver has an HDMI in you can use the normal chrome cast and see the album art on your tv with the added bonus of being able to cast video apps as well like Netflix, youtube etc. Around R800 (double that if you want a 4k compatible one)

https://www.geewiz.co.za/media-players/19528-2015-google-chromecast-audio-digital-media-streamer.html

https://www.geewiz.co.za/media-players/19066-new-2015-google-chromecast-hdmi-streaming-media-player-2nd-gen.html?search_query=chromecast&results=17

This be the simplest. 
Not the best but will be really good for many (if used via optical out for audio version or hdmi on hdmi model) and the tidal phone app is nice. 
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline mygoggie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2018, 08:37:38 AM »
You can always go this route I went. Excellent solution IMHO.
Herman

~ To heal the soul is to embark on a new journey. ~

Offline ALLO

• AVForums Member
    • ALLO.com
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2018, 10:30:17 AM »
Curious about this...
so you guys are happy with the SQ coming out Chromecast ??
Andre
CMO
ALLO.com

Offline koogs

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2018, 12:52:46 PM »
hi there...
since nobody is replying i will.   :EGrin:

yes, you buy the RPI and then you buy the Digital to Analog converter "HAT" card which connects on top of the RPI.
there is a digital SPdif output option .

we manufacture these cards and as mentioned above, in ZA, you can buy from PIshop.

you can then customize with a case and have a complete product.

regards

Is this a plug and play solution or do you need to fiddle with programming etc?
JRiver-Marantz CD5004-NAD C372-Dynaudio DM 2/7

Kodi-Panasonic BDP270-Marantz SR6006-B & W-Velodyne SPL1000

Offline ALLO

• AVForums Member
    • ALLO.com
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2018, 02:06:41 PM »
KOOGS,
the player is plug & play.
it comes with an SD card OR eMMC memory that has the operating system of your choice between:
VOLUMIO
MAX2PLAY
DIETPI

Volumio is straight forward and i find it to be the best for beginners

this is what you get
http://demo.volumio.org/playback

in terms of sound quality, you are miles away from Chromecast... The BOSS player is an audiophile grade streamer...
thats why I was surprised to see Chromecast being praised.
Andre
CMO
ALLO.com

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+43)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2018, 03:09:52 PM »
Donít think anyone rates the analog outputs from chromecast.  Digital out I guess depending on dac jitter immunity is quick and simple maintaining familiar Apps to control.

[Anyone who thinks that wealth is measured in money is blind and narrow minded.  Wealth is obviously measured in turntables and records.]
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za