Siemens CCa Tube in Valve Audio Exclame

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irengineer

AVForums Veteran
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
Just had an interesting few weeks tube rolling in the Valve Audio Exclame 100 amp. When I bought the unit I had it at Schalk's place for a once over. This included fitting a new JJ Gold tube. Had the amp running for months with no hassles at all, sounding great with my Mytek Brooklyn DAC and Tannoy Saturn S10 speaker combo. I then had the opportunity to buy a Philips Miniwatt SQ tube and fitted that. Had the amp running it for about 5 days, but I pulled the plug on the Miniwatt. Way too brittle at the top end with my DAC/speaker combo. But now the bug had bitten me, so I decided to try some more tubes. I bought a NOS Siemens CCa tube (grey shields, O-getter, gold pins) for R 2500 from a seller in Germany. At the same time Francois (Franzar) pinged me about some Mullard tubes. I bought one from him as well. The Mullard arrived before the Siemens so that went in first. What a magical tube! Beautiful tops and great low end weight with the famed 3D soundstage. The Siemens arrived last week so I swapped the Mullard for the Siemens and ran that for the last few days. Same brittle top issue with the DAC/speaker combo, although not as pronounced. If you own an Exclame and want to liven up a system with recessed tops without being tiring, this is the tube for you. I gave it almost 100 hours in my system to give it a fighting chance but tonight I swapped back to the Mullard, my favourite. So, anyone wanting a Siemens CCa or Philips Miniwatt SQ to try, pop me a PM.