Author Topic: Rubber floors  (Read 866 times)

Offline Yanko

Rubber floors
« on: May 03, 2018, 11:00:14 AM »
Currently building a new house. Timber frame on stilts so weight is a big factor. Looking into putting in industrial rubber flooring for the living room. How would the room acoustics fair against hard wood flooring?

Online windshear

Re: Rubber floors
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2018, 11:45:38 AM »
It would not do much for the acoustics. All it would do is be a transmission, isolation reducing medium for the floor. Reducing transfer of energy to and from the floor.

Offline Yanko

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2018, 11:58:04 AM »
I was looking for any info online but all I really found was differences between tiles wood and carpet. Thanks for the reply

Offline Rodney_gold

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2018, 01:09:31 PM »
Hardwood with rugs will be better than fugly industrial rubber floors ...
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch> Trinnov St2 >2x Devialet D premiers>  Vivid audio Giya G1 spirits ..fully treated room

Offline Yanko

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2018, 01:26:59 PM »
Any carpets are a no go. The rubber floor would be smooth interlocking tiles that look like cement when in place

Offline Ampdog

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2018, 02:54:56 PM »
Yanko,

It depends on how soft (pliable) the rubber is. But I cannot see that any rubber suitable to walk on could have any effect on acoustics. Probably also too thin. Where 'appointments' (furniture, book shelves, pots, plants etc.) are will have a predominant effect - including of course, the placement of the equipment themselves!
Audio must be the only branch of engineering where lack of basics' knowledge is considered a superior form of wisdom. (Anon)

Offline Yanko

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2018, 04:51:49 PM »
Yanko,

It depends on how soft (pliable) the rubber is. But I cannot see that any rubber suitable to walk on could have any effect on acoustics. Probably also too thin. Where 'appointments' (furniture, book shelves, pots, plants etc.) are will have a predominant effect - including of course, the placement of the equipment themselves!

Around 8mm thick. Some supermarkets floors have the similar flooring but what i would end up with would be a bit softer

Offline Yanko

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2018, 01:06:26 PM »

Offline Yanko

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2018, 01:06:48 PM »
Like this

Offline ALF

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2018, 03:31:00 PM »
I think the other thing to keep in mind is how stable will your speakers be on a soft floor, anything that stands high from the floor will swing around
"the fostex thang".....

Offline John.Perry

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2018, 05:15:09 PM »
Spikes or a granite slab should fix the swinging?