Author Topic: HDMI Cables (again)  (Read 1064 times)

Offline scrarfussi

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Quantum In Me Fuit
Re: HDMI Cables (again)
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2018, 06:50:39 PM »
suum cuique pulchrum est

"Then Said my heart here will i take my rest."

Offline KenMasters

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2018, 07:00:51 PM »
bandwidth
i  will tell you its slipped my mind now

As was mentioned right from the start, you need a cable that offers at least 18Gbps throughput - but that doesn't mean an expensive cable, it's rare not to find a cable that meets that spec these days.

I watched the video in the link, it's very misleading. The various technical features of Ultra HD have nothing to do with it, one cable will not produce a different picture to another, if it doesn't have the bandwidth it simply won't produce a picture.

Offline scrarfussi

• AVForums Veteran
  • Quantum In Me Fuit
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2018, 07:02:14 PM »
Why wouldn't you get certain features? The Amazon Basics cables are cheap and they'll pass along whatever you throw at them.
it was HDR
some of the cables tried HDR would not activate when streaming from the nvidia shield to the tv
yes it was 4k  but  no HDR then different cable and HDR came up
Guess it boils down to the manufacturer and how true their spec is
suum cuique pulchrum est

Offline scrarfussi

• AVForums Veteran
  • Quantum In Me Fuit
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2018, 07:03:32 PM »
As was mentioned right from the start, you need a cable that offers at least 18Gbps throughput - but that doesn't mean an expensive cable, it's rare not to find a cable that meets that spec these days.

Agreed but just saying some of the stuff on the packaging and interwebs can be false specs
suum cuique pulchrum est

Offline KenMasters

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2018, 07:06:55 PM »
it was HDR
some of the cables tried HDR would not activate when streaming from the nvidia shield to the tv
yes it was 4k  but  no HDR then different cable and HDR came up
Guess it boils down to the manufacturer and how true their spec is

The cable doesn't dictate the availability of HDR. It's the source and the display that communicate with one another to verify capability, if you then activate HDR and all you get is a blank screen, then yes, that's the cable. All HDMI cables are the same in terms of pins (or functions available to them), it's the throughput that differs.

Agreed but just saying some of the stuff on the packaging and interwebs can be false specs

Sure, buying some no-name brand is not a good idea regardless of the product. Still, the point is that the right cheap HDMI cables are every bit as good as the right expensive HDMI cables.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 07:11:37 PM by KenMasters »

Offline isaac3201

• AVForums Member
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2018, 01:07:51 PM »
The cable doesn't dictate the availability of HDR. It's the source and the display that communicate with one another to verify capability, if you then activate HDR and all you get is a blank screen, then yes, that's the cable. All HDMI cables are the same in terms of pins (or functions available to them), it's the throughput that differs.

Sure, buying some no-name brand is not a good idea regardless of the product. Still, the point is that the right cheap HDMI cables are every bit as good as the right expensive HDMI cables.

I recently bought a LG 4K hdr DV display to match up with the Apple TV 4K. I tried quite a bit of 4K high speed rated cables and was experiencing issues where the tv would flicker now and then or the screen go blank . I changed over to a Belkin hdmi cable rated at 48gbps and been happy since .

This is the cable https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Premium-Vision-Optimal-Viewing/dp/B075N83B9X

Offline KenMasters

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2018, 02:36:52 PM »
I recently bought a LG 4K hdr DV display to match up with the Apple TV 4K. I tried quite a bit of 4K high speed rated cables and was experiencing issues where the tv would flicker now and then or the screen go blank . I changed over to a Belkin hdmi cable rated at 48gbps and been happy since .

Indeed, that's what happens when the cable can't handle the bandwidth. As per the discussion, what the cable won't do is make the option of selecting HDR unavailable.

Offline Dolby

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • AVForums Veteran
    • Affordable Home Automation
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2018, 03:30:42 PM »

This is the cable https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Premium-Vision-Optimal-Viewing/dp/B075N83B9X

**** - I just bought 18Gbps ... didn't even know there WAS a 48Gbps.

Offline KenMasters

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2018, 04:00:01 PM »

HDMI 2.1 requires a higher bandwidth HDMI cable in order to output 8K content. With HDMI 2.1 not yet available no TV exists that requires this cable, so don't sweat it.

Offline Gifted

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2018, 09:23:45 PM »
bandwidth
i  will tell you its slipped my mind now

I highly doubt you get lost features due to bandwidth on netflix. as netflix 4k is actually pretty highly compressed.

I might buy bandwidth issues on 4k blu-ray.... maybe. Generally though if the cable is no good you just wont get a signal at all... little like running a really long HDMI without an amplifier.

As an experiment I received a really budget hdmi cable today bundled in a samsung cctv dvr... just for shits and giggles I ran 4k netflix through it to my workstation 4k monitor. Absolutely no different from another high priced cable my monitor usually uses.

Hdmi cables are certainly not the same as speaker cable thats for sure. so dont get fooled into buying super expensive $1000 HDMI cables - amazon basics just as good.

Offline isaac3201

• AVForums Member
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2018, 10:52:15 AM »

Itís 8K ready 😂

Offline Morne Coetzee

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • POWER | PRECISION | PURITY
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2018, 02:07:37 AM »
Since we are on the topic of HDMI Cable. I purcased a 5m cable from HD Cabling in centurion in order to connect my nas to my TV. All movies up to full HD are great, hoever form 2K 2160 all the way to 4K I get that my movies buffer. What would cause this?
There is Always justification for more Amplification!

Offline BiZKiT

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+15)
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2018, 04:50:02 AM »
I just did the whole 4k HDR thing and that is when you see all cables are not the same. The time it takes to pick up a signal and on 15m it did not even work so had to go 10m and then it worked. 4k can be a real pain in the ass to get correct. Eventually i went for active directional cables that work nicely.

Offline KenMasters

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2018, 04:56:35 AM »
Since we are on the topic of HDMI Cable. I purcased a 5m cable from HD Cabling in centurion in order to connect my nas to my TV. All movies up to full HD are great, hoever form 2K 2160 all the way to 4K I get that my movies buffer. What would cause this?

It sounds like you're still getting an uninterrupted signal to you display though? If you're streaming it's down to your line speed, if the content is hosted locally, it's likely your CPU / drive access speed (or router if your accessing the content wirelessly).