Author Topic: Windows 10 1803 Feature Update  (Read 1600 times)

Offline GECO

Re: Windows 10 1803 Feature Update
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2018, 05:26:42 PM »
i also found it more responsive

Offline Dubya Jay Dee

« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2018, 06:03:04 PM »
Same here - a little bit snappier - nice.

Offline Gifted

« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2018, 07:47:53 AM »
Upgraded my home and office pcís now.

Only real thing I notice in the new transparent backgrounds on some apps and notification slider.. Cortana changes and a few new settings in control panel.

Didnít notice any speed boost, but then again both are 8core pcís so was always snappy. And timeline which is supposed to be the big feature looks pointless to me.

Offline tangmonster

« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2018, 08:11:19 AM »
from the internet it looks like they are going to fix notepad to actually handle end of line characters correctly

wow.

baby steps

:dance:

for all the naysayers on windows 10 and people even 1 year afterwards condemning it. I have not had any issues on both my 5 year old work pc and my 10 year old home desktop.

one thing is for certain though , on my home pc with SSD and dual core is MUCH faster than my i5 work pc with standard SATA.

An SSD has really become the biggest upgrade you can do for desktop usage.

Offline stanhic

« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2018, 09:28:30 AM »
Yeah, SSD is a must have. Even if only a 120gb for OS. All 3 my systems now have SSD's for OS, and 2nd/D: drives for storage. System boots up so much quicker, it does not even look like the same PC

Online 1200GXman

« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2018, 09:50:08 AM »
I am more than 15 years in the IT field and it was always for me the norm that every couple of years Microsoft will bring out a completely new operating system that will throw you into the deep end of the learning curve to get to know the new OS.
This I welcome with open arms whereby you keep the OS standard, load a update and only changes are made in the background. Much better for end users and also for technicians.

Now my second question. Where is Microsoft going with this? Have we come to a point where if you compare it to histories 3 age stages of  Stone Age, Bronze Age, and Iron Age, that we have created a Technology Age and that humanity has come to the end of this stage and don't know what next to do to keep it alive?
Are we now moving into the Micro Technology Age maybe?
What do you guys predict for the next 10 years?
I  predict that Microsoft is going to go into the portability technology. Going to target cellphones and make them the new hardware to work on. You take your cellphone to work, plug it into a docking station, do your work, tonight when you leave you take it with you as your cellphone.
Sansui AU-101, Sansui AU3900, Rotel RA935BX, Pioneer SA-6500 Mkii, Marantz PM53, DIY kit amplifier

Offline GoodEnoughGear

« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2018, 10:07:35 AM »
First the disclaimer - I work for Microsoft.

Where things are going is broadly in the following categories:
Intelligent Cloud and Intelligent Edge
up until recently we have been able to move data around to the place where it makes most sense to operate on it - for small stuff local on the device and for big stuff in the cloud. Now we have SO much data that we can't move it fast enough, so we need ways to move compute to where the data is. Our Azure IOT frameworks allow for the distribution of logic (not data) from the cloud to the edge from devices smaller than a RPi to the scale of anything you can imagine.

Windows 365 experience everywhere
The Windows experience is no longer centered on one device, but rather all the devices, current and future, that you kinteract with. Windows will still be there, but we don't care whether that device is an Android or Apple device that you own, a computer in an internet cafe or an intelligent doorway that recognizes you when you walk into a store because of a NFC chip in your watch.

Privacy and Security
This is absolutely key to our continued development of technology. As our data is used more and more to personalize and train and power decisions via BI or Algorithm implementations in uncounted ways, it is critical that we make these processes transparent, auditable and accountable and give people full control over where, when and how their data is used. The work of fully homomorphic encryption, personal certificates, reputation management etc. is here. We need to be able to protect individuals and society from both inadvertent harm as well as malicious harm, and build Trust in order to safely harness the incredible power that is becoming available now.
Mobile: LG V30, CA Andromeda
Portable: LH Labs GO2A SE, KEF M500
Home: Soekris DAC1541, Genelec 8030+7050, HD6XX

Offline 2wice

« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2018, 10:09:27 AM »
What do you guys predict for the next 10 years?

I predict everything as a service, one device as a dumb terminal with cloud processing and distribution.
You don't pay every month you could be screwed (for MS services).
Cloud storage growth and processing capacity expansions are not going to stop.
You can see the glut by the amount of free storage available.
Cloud servers are so cheap I rented a VM just to run website monitoring and private VPN. 

Online 1200GXman

« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2018, 10:46:08 AM »
Basically like the old UNIX mainframe terminal systems of the olden days but just in a much bigger more global way?
Sansui AU-101, Sansui AU3900, Rotel RA935BX, Pioneer SA-6500 Mkii, Marantz PM53, DIY kit amplifier

Offline GoodEnoughGear

« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2018, 10:47:40 AM »
Hahaha, your phone probably has as much processing power as some of those old systems :).

Nope, compute is too cheap for completely dumb terminals. It will be a mesh from cloud to individual.
Mobile: LG V30, CA Andromeda
Portable: LH Labs GO2A SE, KEF M500
Home: Soekris DAC1541, Genelec 8030+7050, HD6XX

Offline BWS

« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2018, 12:19:22 PM »
You take your cellphone to work, plug it into a docking station, do your work, tonight when you leave you take it with you as your cellphone.

My current cell phone has this capability. Plug in a USB-C to HDMI cable, attach monitor and blue tooth keyboard/mouse (or use the phone screen as a trackpad) and I have an Android desktop OS PC, NOT just a Mirror Share

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVjg9WQMvoE
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 12:24:29 PM by BWS »
In the word : Scent, is it the S or the C that is silent?

Offline georgev

« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2018, 06:35:46 AM »
Help please.
Updated and now though connected to the net cannot browse either in edge or Firefox.
Not sure what to do.

Offline 2wice

« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2018, 09:50:21 AM »
Updated and went into bit loops.
Reinstalled and now gfx card is not recognised.

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+111)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2018, 10:03:13 AM »
Help please.
Updated and now though connected to the net cannot browse either in edge or Firefox.
Not sure what to do.

Under Network settings, does the computer automatically get an IP address from the router?

Run CMD from the start menu

In the Command Prompt box, type ipconfig /all <enter>
Look for Gateway address.  If you have one, your connection to the router is ok

Then type ping microsoft.com <enter>
You should get a reply showing the time taken for a reply

If you do, and still cannot connect, then your Firewall is blocking everything, or the IP address you are using is incorrect
Even duct tape canít fix stupidÖ but it can muffle the sound

Offline georgev

« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2018, 02:07:38 PM »
Nothing working.
Spent the last hour plus on the line with MS.
Still cannot access the web.
Getting my mail.
Any other thoughts?
Please.