Author Topic: Loading windows on a mini PC  (Read 410 times)

Offline PottieP

Loading windows on a mini PC
« on: April 27, 2018, 06:54:47 AM »
Hi,
I need some advice please.
I bought a Asus minicomputer here on the forum.  Great little machine.
It was loaded with Daphile and some other operating system, which I have no clue on how to operate.
I am not good with IT at all.
How do I get Windows on this PC?
I want to load squeezebox music server, Netflix, Showmax and Amazon video on the machine.

Thanks,

Andre
In Rock we trust
Waste money not time

Offline GoodEnoughGear

Re: Loading windows on a mini PC
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 07:11:18 AM »
You can download and install Windows 10 using the Microsoft Media Creation Tool. Then you have a month to purchase a license key or get on the Insider program (beta program) for free. Start here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/15088/windows-create-installation-media

Offline MR.C

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 02:25:12 PM »
You can download and install Windows 10 using the Microsoft Media Creation Tool. Then you have a month to purchase a license key or get on the Insider program (beta program) for free. Start here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/15088/windows-create-installation-media
I can get codes for R250 for Windows 10 Pro. Legit so definitely no need to doubt it.

I'm not the dealer but there's few dealers on Carbonite.

{I can help you to post pictures on your posts/ads.  PM me.}

I can help you to post pics for your ads.

Online chrisc

• Trade Count: (+109)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 04:40:15 PM »
Why not try Linux?  It will work better on a machine like that.  It may struggle with Windows
Even duct tape canít fix stupidÖ but it can muffle the sound

Offline naughty

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2018, 01:14:10 AM »
Why not try Linux?  It will work better on a machine like that.  It may struggle with Windows

If Im not mistaken it already has one of the linux variants on it since Daphile generally works best with Linux and he finds it unworkable - most PC novices will find windows easier to work with even though Linux is undoubtedly the better operating system but its difficult for some people to work differently than what they are used to doing with their laptops etc

and IMHO windows should be okay on one of those machines since i have a tablet with an Intel Atom processor and 1 gig of ram that does the basics with windows 10 as long as you add the correct software to do the actual required work it should be okay but dont expect it to run databases like a server or render large hi-def video files ..... it should work for music streaming and general video but you may need to add a low profile video card (if it has a slot for one) for Hi-Def video though you might struggle to do netflix 4k or UltraHD with the onboard graphics

Offline santoshlv426

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2018, 09:38:30 AM »
If you're loooking at Linux due to it machine not being able to cope with Win 10 or 7, both of which are "heavy" OS's, my recommendation is go with Windows XP.
It works, stable, does everything and runs everything (well mostly everything)

Online chrisc

• Trade Count: (+109)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2018, 12:33:44 PM »
I am sure with a couple of hours hands-on teaching, Linux would be as easy to use as Windows or iOS.  Just gather the shortcut icons on the desktop, so no rocket science is needed

It is a big pain in the derriere if you click on a program to start and nothing appears to happen.  Seen that hundreds of times.  How much memory (RAM) does this machine have?
Even duct tape canít fix stupidÖ but it can muffle the sound

Offline PottieP

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2018, 07:03:45 PM »
Hi all,

thanks for the feedback.

It seems that this little machine is not for me.  I don't have the energy for fiddeling with PC's.

Into the garage it goes to collect dust...
In Rock we trust
Waste money not time

Offline Gifted

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2018, 10:00:14 PM »
Lol...

Shame your not Iím my neck of the wood... Iíll load windows on it for you no worries. Always welcome to ship it to the office if your desperate.