Author Topic: Hitachi HCA and HMA 7500mkII  (Read 779 times)

Offline fdlsys

• Vinylist
  • Trader
  • Trade Count: (+86)
  • Do you like life, sweetheart?
Hitachi HCA and HMA 7500mkII
« on: April 24, 2018, 09:43:55 PM »
Hitachi HCA and HMA 7500mkII. I hear some people like those big VUs ... :cleansound:

Preamp completely recapped (lots and lots of caps, including seriously difficult to find bi-polar)
Power amp completely refreshed - all caps, all resistors of the specific type (brand) that we found have ALL drifted badly, all small signal transistors, original Hitachi 2SJ49/2SK134 lateral FETs in the output. Power amp is a true 2-mono blocks in one chassis design. So much so that it has 2 world-voltage selectors - one per PSU (per channel)  :faint:

Sounds mind bogglingly good and it has tons of real power.
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry
Come back when youíve lived a little. Miles Davis

Offline Kyle

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • AVForums Member
Re: Hitachi HCA and HMA 7500mkII
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 11:39:36 PM »
Great work there Mike, a stunning set indeed, glad to see you invested in the rebuild, I know it was worth it. :groovy:

There's great design and workmanship put into these vintage Hitachi's, they never received the attention they deserved,
well maybe besides a little cult follwing in japan haha, not as well known as the household brands but so musical with the right pre/source

I'll never sell mine, they don't do everything right but man what they do do right. All things considered I can't be critiquing them

There's a spot patiently waiting for one of these in my collection (Hint!...cough...first dibs since back then...loving home I promise...sigh)  :giggle:

Offline Honda xr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Junior Member
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 09:24:54 AM »
Wow. Very nice.

Offline Nidri

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Just go ahead and panic.
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 06:48:49 AM »
Those Hitachi's make for a beautiful pair.
Do they play on the warm(er) side of neutral?

Offline fdlsys

• Vinylist
  • Trader
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 08:17:26 AM »
Those Hitachi's make for a beautiful pair.
Do they play on the warm(er) side of neutral?
I'd say so. Silky smooth.
Pop around for a listen :dop:
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry

Offline JonnyP

• Gearslut Pro
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • To the centre of the city in the night
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 05:20:09 PM »
Very nice, now replace the blue faceplate on the phono stage and itíll match perfectly
Are you waiting for loneliness to paralyse? Are you waiting for sister midnight to anaesthetise?

Offline fdlsys

• Vinylist
  • Trader
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2018, 06:28:56 PM »
Very nice, now replace the blue faceplate on the phono stage and itíll match perfectly
Collectable and extremely rare - I'll just hide it behind :point:

Offline christowp

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2018, 04:58:23 PM »
I had the power amp HMA 7500 MkII used with Hafler DH 110 preamp. Loved it but felt I wanted a more power - no one I knew who had the power amp was willing to sell it so I could use them as monoblocks.

How is the preamp, HCA 7500? I have seen one or two come up for sale. Is the phono stage not too good hence the use of the other phono stage in the pic? 

Offline fdlsys

• Vinylist
  • Trader
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2018, 06:39:51 PM »
It's just a transformer based MC step-up, not a phono stage. HCA's built-in phono stage leaves nothing to be desired. It is that good.

The need for more power never stops to amaze me. Let me explain:

HMA7500mkII's most conservative specification is 75wpc @4 or 8 Ohm, both channels driven 20-20kHz with no more than 0.005%THD.
My (current) speakers are Linn Espek, 4 Ohm, rated 90db@1W@1m
My room is about 36 Sqm, 4.2m ceiling height, "L" shaped, with two doors - one to the rest of the house, the other to the outside.
My music-playing-while-I-work listening volume with both doors open barely moves the VU meters set at higher sensitivity (4 Ohm)
As-loud-as-I-can-withstand volume keeps the VU meters swinging around the middle position.