Author Topic: Daan Jacobs Reference 1 restore - Advice wanted please  (Read 2755 times)

Offline GECO

Re: Daan Jacobs Reference 1 restore - Advice wanted please
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2018, 04:05:09 PM »
Im not going to read everything so if i missed something sorry, here is my 2c. So many things i would do differently here. First;y chip board :BWAHAHAH: i would change that to mdf or ply. Then i would recess the drivers and angle the back for better flow for the driver, do better bracing also. Would also play with dog blanket instead of think pink. Just my  :2c:

nothing wrong with this chipboard construction and the think pink in these speakers.

Online HB

« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2018, 04:32:24 PM »
Im not going to read everything so if i missed something sorry, here is my 2c. So many things i would do differently here. First;y chip board :BWAHAHAH: i would change that to mdf or ply. Then i would recess the drivers and angle the back for better flow for the driver, do better bracing also. Would also play with dog blanket instead of think pink. Just my  :2c:
Good quality chipboard was the norm back then! These days its hard to find.
When You Come to a Fork in the Road, Take It!            [Yogi Berra]

Offline King_Julian_S

« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2018, 05:48:08 PM »
These days its hard to find.

Aaaah ... wanted to try
Non audiophile music lover...

Online bbe22

« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2018, 08:07:28 PM »
hard to find
One way  out is to get the current weetbix and cover with / add  4 or 6mm MDF  each side  to get a nice and very usable sandwich ( 24-28 mm)

Offline rudie.lamprecht

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Junior Member
  • Audio Lover - Rock on People..
« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2019, 07:22:35 PM »
Yes I agree, get someone that does decent woodworking and have them rebuild the cabinets only. The drivers (woofer and tweeter) were very good quality and I think it will be very difficult to get something similar at a good price these days - Keep them, just rebuild the cabinets and the grills maybe..

Ive got a pair of the Acoustic 1's. They still have excellent sound, although my NAD 3240PE amplifier has blown I cannot really enjoy them currently. - Good speakers these. It has the SEAS 8" woofer and I thnk Vifa Tweeter. I refuse to sell them. Your cabinets don't look too bad though. Yes they were very decent quality and well priced. I think I paid around 400 bucks in the 80s for the pair back then. I also would like to have some tests (frequency response) , done on them to see how they actually perform. Anyways nice chatting about this, and I hope you get them restored nicely. Yes mine has also got the Bitumen backing and the Pink Aerolite stuff inside. According to me they sound better than some Infinity Primus 250s (Floorstanders).

Good luck with rebuilding yours!

Thanks
Rudie

Offline Shonver

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2019, 10:10:34 PM »
Well, lookee what I haves me here. Mr Kent Kassler did provide.

Woofer: SEAS 25F EW-R
Midrange: Philips AD 5060/W8
Tweeter: Vifa D 26 TG 6(omega)

Those are the drivers it came with. Unfortunately, the one tweeter is dead and the pair was replaced with a different pair of Vifas.
The Philips mids are functional, but the surrounds are deteriorated, so they were replaced with the mids from Boston A150 speakers (as far as I can trace).

These are currently running active with a fair amount of low frequency boost a la Linkwitz Transform.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

DON'T PANIC
Capie