Daan Jacobs Reference 1 restore - Advice wanted please

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micron

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've got two pairs of Daan Jacobs Reference loudspeakers.
This post shows the Reference 1's. I have the three way model too, but I'm not sure what their model name is. I will post them later.

I think the drivers used in here are the Scan Speak D2008 tweeter and KEF B200 woofer.

Unfortunately the cabinets have some wear and tear.
I would appreciate advice from those more knowledgeable than me regarding what I can do to get these looking pleasant again.

qWE94N1.jpg

TO3sazP.jpg

4mfQsyO.jpg

I think this tweeter, and woofer, deserves to be counter sunk. A new front baffle is something I am considering.
wHQ1aRj.jpg

73XdlRx.jpg

All the drivers have this sticky black sealant on the flanges. It's messy. I think I'm going to remove it. Perhaps rather use a dry rubber/foam/felt ring to seal.
MDlSLKY.jpg

The front baffle is pressed wood. I'm thinking of cutting a new marine birch ply or mdf front baffle and also painting it black.
T6oynQH.jpg

Lots of stuffing material and solid wood used on the inside layer. These cabinets are heavy.
SJJMJOt.jpg

Crossover. I have yet to inspect the condition of the components
mWyOYSQ.jpg

Cabinets:
Here is where the fun starts.

The veneer on the top and sides are a bit scratched. Any suggestions as to how I can get the veneer looking good again?
OimikLo.jpg

OZmX7FW.jpg

The edges on the bottom part of the cabinet have pulled apart slightly. Luckily only on the bottom, so it's easily visible from the front, and only a few mm deep so it doesn't compromise the seal of the cabinet as there is about another 2cm beyond the split that is still sealed tightly. Is there a product I can use to seal these splits or what is the best way to deal with them?
3Hck72H.jpg

There is a vinyl layer on the front baffle that is pulling off, but I'm thinking of replacing the front baffle anyway and painting it black.
5JMbGiy.jpg

This is the on the front left corner of one of the cabinets.
JwShYkl.jpg

This is the front top right hand corner.
Of0gnra.jpg

This is at the back luckily.
ctmIDlD.jpg

Same place as the photo just before.
2p8he49.jpg

All in all the cabs are still sealed well, but I'd like to get them looking better. All advice welcome.
I will test the drivers and crossovers soon.