HP laptop partition issues

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AVSA Andrew

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have an HP laptop that must be about 4 or so years old now, does everything I need it to well so have no intention of replacing it for a while. But it would seem that when it was orignally setup, the HP people didn't take Windows 10 and it's insane updates into consideration. The drive is divided into 3 sections: This PC, HP Tools, and HP Recovery.

HP Recovery is now full thanks (I presume) to all the updates, and so apart from being unable to update the OS, I now get a farking reminder literally every few minutes that the disk is full and I need to free up space. Which I can't, because there's nothing more I can delete on that partition. I've tried looking at the section on the OS where it asks you where new stuff gets downloaded and stored, and everything is set to My PC, which has plenty of available space, but there's no option to save updates into that section, so that's a pointless exercise.

Is there any way, short of (I assume) doing a complete reformat of the HDD that I can remove the partitions so that everything is just on one drive? Or even if I can maybe get rid of HP Tools and use that for updates. Does Windows 10 have a reformat option that will allow me to do this?

Latest posts