Author Topic: Headphone recommendations  (Read 448 times)

Offline Music_Lover

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Veteran
Headphone recommendations
« on: April 16, 2018, 05:14:07 PM »
I'm a total headphone neophyte and have only ever owned and listened to 3 AKG units which I all liked quite a bit. The last one was an AKG K92 which I thought was really balanced sounding and enjoyed a lot until I had to gift it to a niece. I now want to get a pair of headphones for my daughter who largely listens to modern day music and was wondering if anyone could recommend something that would be suitable for dance, hip-hop, pop etc. It's a sound that relies on bass prominence so I would say that would be the area that needs to shine the most. Budget around R2K.

Please chime in.

Thanks
Midrand

Offline thomas24

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • AVForums Member
Re: Headphone recommendations
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 05:26:05 PM »
Unused B&O H6 for R2000:

https://www.avforums.co.za/index.php/topic,70392.msg846867.html#msg846867

Sound quality is superb, it's extremely comfortable, and very well designed. You can't go wrong with these. Currently sells for close to R6000 on takealot.

Also some reviews:

https://marco.org/2016/03/02/beoplay-h6-v2-review

https://www.theverge.com/2016/7/8/12128152/bang-olufsen-beoplay-h6-review

Send me a PM with your number and I'll send you some photos.

Offline koogs

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 05:26:09 PM »
AKG Y50 BT

I bought a pair recently and they are brilliant sounding for R1.5K that I paid. Added benefit being Bluetooth so for a youngster who may stream music from a cellphone this works very well.

Jas great battery life too. I have tested it with all types of music ranging from jazz, classical, hip hop and EDM and it handles everything very competently. And you wont be disappointed with the bass reproduction.

This model is being cleared at the moment so may not be easy to find. I got mine from Govan Mani in Durban over the Easter holidays. They will ship to you if you purchase from them but they dont have an online store IIRC.
JRiver-Marantz CD5004-NAD C372-Dynaudio DM 2/7

Kodi-Panasonic BDP270-Marantz SR6006-B & W-Velodyne SPL1000

Offline naughty

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 05:48:55 PM »
AKG Y50 BT

I bought a pair recently and they are brilliant sounding for R1.5K that I paid. Added benefit being Bluetooth so for a youngster who may stream music from a cellphone this works very well.

Jas great battery life too. I have tested it with all types of music ranging from jazz, classical, hip hop and EDM and it handles everything very competently. And you wont be disappointed with the bass reproduction.

This model is being cleared at the moment so may not be easy to find. I got mine from Govan Mani in Durban over the Easter holidays. They will ship to you if you purchase from them but they dont have an online store IIRC.

yep - Govan Mani had the set at R1999 but i did notice that they are clearing them now at R1500 on special but they only have the blue and silver models left if the color is important to you - they also have the AKG N60NC active noise cancelling models at R1999 too

the advantage of the Y50BT is that you can use it wireless or you you can connect a cable to it and use it wired as well ... as for the bass initially the Y50BT is very bass heavy but it soon settles down to a pretty balanced sound with excellent bass quality and at R1500 for these you cant go wrong and they are brilliant combined with smartphones and small mp3 players .... especially for club type of music (i use my set mainly for exercise time when i listen to mostly up-tempo old school club type stuff)

but having said the above, the B&O that Thomas24 is offering you, seems to be a great bet at a great price as well (judging from the reviews that he posted)  :thumbs: so you do have a few decent options
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 05:50:57 PM by naughty »

Offline ron g

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 06:57:26 PM »

how old is your daughter, & would she be in a position to look after them?

thomas' b&o h6 are a great deal at that price & i will be so happy to see that temptation go.  will she be happy with 2nd hand?

i have had the akg k92 & the akg y50 (non bluetooth). for me the y50 are superior in every way. comfort, perceived quality & sound are all way superior. even styling is better (& probably more modern). i sold the k92s after hearing the y50s. the y50s do feel bullet proof - i carry them in a cloth bag pretty much everywhere i go & i have seen no signs of any wear & tear.

k92s are at audiomart for around r900. (i got the y50s off onedayonly at 599 - value of note.)

or for something a little different  :EGrin: - cplan have the hifiman edition s at 1,700 (i have never heard them though, but the reviews look good) & the hifiman re400 in ears at 1,300. i own a pair of the re400s & they are just superb. masses of detail, clear musical bass, & detailed, if ever so slightly reduced mids. i like them so much that i sold off my sennheiser momentum m2 iems, & am in the process of selling off my fancy sony extended bass iems.
if millennials were faced with a zombie invasion, there would be zombie rights activists.

Offline Michon

• Trader
  • Trade Count: (+43)
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 07:59:31 PM »
(i got the y50s off onedayonly at 599 - value of note.)

Yeah that's value.

Below R2k I would get Sennheiser HD202, bass is there - listening to some right now, though a search now seems to indicate they're not around anymore. HD206 is most similar that I could find, but I haven't heard them - https://www.takealot.com/sennheiser-hd-206-headphones/PLID46575629

What I like about the HD202 is that it is light. It's cable is way too long and not detachable, but you do get it "device" to coil it around though.

(Above R2k I would basically only get Sennheiser HD600 - if open is appropriate - stuck in my ways?).

There is also this:
https://www.takealot.com/sennheiser-hd280-pro-headphones/PLID43683612
https://www.takealot.com/sennheiser-hd-380-pro-headphones/PLID29397443
Have heard both these and they were nice too. Prefer the way the 280 sits on your head. Both fold up, but 380 comes with a case.
Though for me I wouldn't pay four times the price of the HD202 (when they use to be around I think they were around R500) for either of these. Diminishing returns.

I have a pair of Beats by Dre headphones somewhere that I'm willing to sell. Might appeal to a teenage girl into hip hop.
Will find and PM.

Don't forget to mention something about hearing damage caused by excessive volume and/or listening duration.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 08:07:02 PM by Michon »

Offline Michon

• Trader
  • Trade Count: (+43)
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 08:10:23 PM »
I'm just a charlatan though.
A true audiophile would've first asked: "What will she be driving them with?".

Offline naughty

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 09:12:04 PM »
Yeah that's value.

Below R2k I would get Sennheiser HD202, bass is there - listening to some right now, though a search now seems to indicate they're not around anymore. HD206 is most similar that I could find, but I haven't heard them - https://www.takealot.com/sennheiser-hd-206-headphones/PLID46575629

What I like about the HD202 is that it is light. It's cable is way too long and not detachable, but you do get it "device" to coil it around though.

(Above R2k I would basically only get Sennheiser HD600 - if open is appropriate - stuck in my ways?).

There is also this:
https://www.takealot.com/sennheiser-hd280-pro-headphones/PLID43683612
https://www.takealot.com/sennheiser-hd-380-pro-headphones/PLID29397443
Have heard both these and they were nice too. Prefer the way the 280 sits on your head. Both fold up, but 380 comes with a case.
Though for me I wouldn't pay four times the price of the HD202 (when they use to be around I think they were around R500) for either of these. Diminishing returns.

I have a pair of Beats by Dre headphones somewhere that I'm willing to sell. Might appeal to a teenage girl into hip hop.
Will find and PM.

Don't forget to mention something about hearing damage caused by excessive volume and/or listening duration.

you do still get the HD202 mkIIs at around R700 or thereabouts - i have a pair of the older mk1s and while they are okay for the price - the HD202 is a step or three above them, since these present a far more refined and solid sound quality - i also had the HD380s and to me the AKG are still a notch above those (the HD380s are around a similar price to the Y50BT)

the AKG is light enough as long as you are not going to use them for 3 to 4 hour stretches at a time because they will then feel heavy after the prolonged use as well as constrictive because of the isolation (despite no noise cancellation and because these are closed back they do isolate a fair amount of outside noise so they will become fairly disorientating after prolonged use ie around 3 to 4 hours of continuous listening) a buddy of mine who does lots of long distance driving uses these for the long freeway stretches and he drives on freeway stretches for 4 to 6 hours at a time and he says after around 3 to 4 hours they feel heavy and constrictive .... I havent used them for that period of time since i use them when i do my exercise walking which is between 4.4km (more or less an hour) to 7.2km (around an hour and forty minutes) the only con for the almost two hours is that they cause my ears to get pretty hot in the summertime but thats an advantage in colder weather

Offline thomas24

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2018, 10:29:26 PM »
If you're looking for an open back, I also have an AKG K7XX for sale for R2000:

https://www.avforums.co.za/index.php/topic,70384.msg844858.html#msg844858

Offline Music_Lover

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2018, 08:00:21 AM »
Ron, She's 25 so no problems with her taking care of them.

I forgot to mention that it has to be over ear or very comfortable on ears. Source will be a Huawei P20 phone, no amp although we do have a Fiio E6 on hand.

All excellent suggestions so far. Leaning towards the Y50s or Thomas's gorgeous B&Os.
Midrand

Offline grumpybear

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2018, 08:41:10 AM »
Beyerdynamic Custom street will fit the bill.  Super comfy, great sound at the price, well built, adjustable bass response using variable "ports", low impedance and easy to drive.  In stock in black and white, retail R2,220 available from C-Plan who will probably negotiate a deal.

https://europe.beyerdynamic.com/catalog/product/view/id/4054

Offline Music_Lover

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2018, 08:54:14 AM »
Beyerdynamic Custom street will fit the bill.  Super comfy, great sound at the price, well built, adjustable bass response using variable "ports", low impedance and easy to drive.  In stock in black and white, retail R2,220 available from C-Plan who will probably negotiate a deal.

https://europe.beyerdynamic.com/catalog/product/view/id/4054

These ones?

https://www.takealot.com/beyerdynamic-custom-street-38-ohms-headphones-black/PLID41019506?gclid=CjwKCAjwk9HWBRApEiwA6mKWabUmKCpbn8AZGE3qWWiJSD0NrV-5opu9T8lGZhHxTGcqgsP6Ut9fIBoCuXgQAvD_BwE
Midrand

Offline grumpybear

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2018, 09:39:01 AM »
Yes. those ones.  At that price a real steal.

Offline ron g

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2018, 10:50:08 AM »
Ron, She's 25 so no problems with her taking care of them.
I forgot to mention that it has to be over ear or very comfortable on ears. Source will be a Huawei P20 phone, no amp although we do have a Fiio E6 on hand.
All excellent suggestions so far. Leaning towards the Y50s or Thomas's gorgeous B&Os.

y50s are on ear, & do become quite sweaty after listening a while, so may not be ideal.
if millennials were faced with a zombie invasion, there would be zombie rights activists.

Offline Music_Lover

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2018, 03:28:12 PM »
y50s are on ear, & do become quite sweaty after listening a while, so may not be ideal.

That is my biggest issue with on ears. So maybe I need to rethink.
Midrand