Author Topic: What PC speakers? Please help  (Read 850 times)

Offline Wim

What PC speakers? Please help
« on: April 16, 2018, 03:39:30 PM »
My PC (standard on board sound) needs some more oomph. I have had these Creative 2.1 little speakers for yonks, maybe 10 years or more, which is only good for playing games. I then wasted my time and money making an impulse purchase of some Creative SBS E2400 USB Powered 2.1 speakers, thinking if they are only a bit better than what I have now I will at least be able to listen to some music whilst working on the PC. I thought in 10 years they can only be better than the old ones. I was wrong, so very, very wrong!

They sound bad, worst than the old ones, and I would not even give them away. I will be too embarrassed. I will give them to my 10 year old daughter and set it up in her room to plug her laptop in. They sound tinny, the little sub have no controls (like my old set), the fm radio receives diddly squat (the actual reason I bought it!) and the list goes on. Ok, they were only R750 bucks, but hell I expected more.

Now the question: What do you use to listen to music, just on your desk. No big amps and huge speakers, smaller more compact stuff that you can actually enjoy music with. What can I plug into the line out that will produce some listenable music that is fairly compact? And I don't want all surround 15.7, super everything speakers. I want to keep it simple, just two speakers plus maybe a sub. Not too worried about thumping base, just some decent sound at lowish levels. I would preferably want something that fits on a desk, both sides of the screen. Have place for a sub.

This is the study. Opposite wall a bit tricky.

This forum has been wonderful to me recently and I would like your help again. Look forward to your suggestions.

Online naughty

Re: What PC speakers? Please help
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 05:30:05 PM »
i use a big amp with some small speakers - it is pretty easy to hide an amp - you can place it anywhere BUT you can also find some pretty small amps available from overseas websites for example the topping and SMSL ranges and then you can find a smallish pair of pretty good bookshelf speakers like the Castle Knight 1 or something like that

the amp will probably set you back around R1,5k to R2k to self import and a pair of Castle Knight speakers are around R2k as well but combine those 2 items and it will beat the socks off any set of dedicated PC speakers without needing a sub

im using a full size Pioneer A400x amplifier which cost me R1k (i originally owned it and when it became slightly problematic i gave it to a buddy and the price was that he have it repaired ... well he did and when he wanted to sell it on, i purchased it back from him for R1k which was around the cost of the repair) and then im using a pair of Tannoy Mercury Mx1 which are also around close to 20 years old but they are really small but have a surprising amount of full range sound for their size

the combo that i'm using sounds better with certain music than my main system in the lounge which would cost closer to R70k to R80k at retail values) of you add up all the speakers as well as the subwoofer and amplification and sources etc - off course this depends on genre of music because the bigger system does sound better with contemporary music and smooth jazz as well as more audiophile orientated stuff but the small system that set me back around R2k (including the speaker cables etc) isnt embarrassed in the company of the bigger system

many people people who have heard it have commented on how good my "PC system" sounds so IMHO buying stuff like this second hand would make more sense than faffing around with dedicated PC speakers because i havent heard a single set of dedicated PC speakers that would come close to a setup like this in terms of sound quality (i have owned the top of the range Logitech and Cambridge Audio surround sets in the past which cost more than R5k per pair back in the day and this stereo set beats those so comprehensively it isnt even funny)   

so IMHO dont waste your time and money on dedicated PC sets because they cant do what you are aiming for rather get yourself the proper set that your ears deserve .... even though it might be slightly more expensive than a dedicated PC set but in the long run IMHO your ears will thank you for changing direction and getting something closer to what i'm using

Offline Wim

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 07:08:50 PM »
Thanks naughty, Iíll be keeping an eye on the classifieds for an amp and two decent bookshelf types. Can kick my backside buying that crap. Could have bought a decent used amp for that money.  :headbanger:

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 11:56:26 PM »
I use a TEAC AI101DA and some Micropods.  There are lots of options. 
I actually donít like external power supplies and this was my reason for buying the teac.  Itís one of the few ďaffordableĒ mini amps with mains input. 

Smsl.  Topping etc all use laptop bricks. 

You could also just buy a set of Lunar EClipse from edifier and be done. 

[Anyone who thinks that wealth is measured in money is blind and narrow minded.  Wealth is obviously measured in turntables and records.]
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline ron g

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 11:07:35 AM »

i have been through lots of options
 - roland dm2100 2.1 monitors
 - krk g5
 - edifier luna eclipse
 - focal bluetooth (forget the model name)
 currently i am using an ava media digital amp (similar to topping etc.) with a pair of quad 12l speakers. the ava media is a digital amp - small, unobtrusive & reasonable sounding.

all of the options worked ok, with the current system probably being the best sounding, & is the way i would recommend - digital input dac/amp & a pair of bookshelves (if you do gaming then add a sub)
is it just me or have bitcoin people gone a bitquiet because its a bitdown? #bitter

Offline Wim

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 12:16:00 PM »
Keeping my eye on those Boston M25's! If they go for closer to 2K I will consider. It has a bit of cosmetic issues that will bug me but I think something like that might work. Maybe a bit overkill!

ron g, Thanks for that. I think even 100 year old horns that is found on gramophones will have a better sound than those Creative crap speakers.

Hiphibian that looks very nice, although a bit above my budget. I spend all my money I had with you and achim .... I now have to scrounge the bottom of the barrel.  :) :)

Offline LAV

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 01:45:27 PM »
I have a set of Cambridge Soundworks - heavy and solid satellites and quite a hefty sub in a wooden cabinet. Must be going on 20 years now. Still kicks butt and sounds great. I have replaced the level pot on the sub and in the inline level control, but apart from that, not a single hiccup. They sound great. Pity they are not available anymore.
Vaal Triangle (Southern Gauteng)

Offline ron g

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 04:40:22 PM »

.... I now have to scrounge the bottom of the barrel.  :) :)

while you are down there - i still have the roland dm2100s available.
very very tatty, (mainly on the sub), & there is a loose wire causing some intermittent loss of the sub when moved.
but they are going really really cheap.
is it just me or have bitcoin people gone a bitquiet because its a bitdown? #bitter

Offline Wim

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2018, 02:58:25 PM »
Thanks for the kind offer but I have decided to put the old creatives back for games, which I very seldom play. If I want music I must just get up of my lazy backside, put music on the hifi and listen to it there. Once achim has twisted my arm so far around that, in a moment of weakness I purchase that valve amp, I will use the Brio for the PC amp and get some proper speakers for it then. Some interesting option here, thanks for that.

Online naughty

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2018, 03:01:25 PM »
Thanks for the kind offer but I have decided to put the old creatives back for games, which I very seldom play. If I want music I must just get up of my lazy backside, put music on the hifi and listen to it there. Once achim has twisted my arm so far around that, in a moment of weakness I purchase that valve amp, I will use the Brio for the PC amp and get some proper speakers for it then. Some interesting option here, thanks for that.

good idea  :thumbs:

Offline Gifted

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2018, 11:21:58 AM »
I use these: http://www.acoustic-energy.co.uk/discontinued-products/aego/

they sound amazing.. and in the UK they are relatively cheap. Looking here thoug hand they seem silly price.

I saw some the other day for sale in the 'For Sale' forum though... can highly recommend them.

Offline Simango4

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2018, 01:45:50 PM »
Divoom Xforce 5...I remember buying these for about R950 a number of moons ago, great speakers with better sound quality than Logitech's speakers costing over R2,000 (yes Logitech is louder and bass heavier due to boomy bass).

Music is What Feelings Sound Like...
You Don't Stop Gaming Because you Grow Old, You Grow Old Because you Stop Gaming...

Offline Stereoid

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2018, 01:19:48 PM »
I had a pair of these yonks ago and was very pleased with them, recommended:
https://us.creative.com/p/speakers/gigaworks-t20-series-ii
While these are new and gather great reviews, I cannot comment on their sound but worth a look imo.
https://www.razer.com/gaming-audio/razer-nommo-chroma

Offline John.Perry

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2018, 09:15:10 AM »
Harman Kardon Soundsticks