What PC speakers? Please help

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 1727

AVForums Veteran
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
My PC (standard on board sound) needs some more oomph. I have had these Creative 2.1 little speakers for yonks, maybe 10 years or more, which is only good for playing games. I then wasted my time and money making an impulse purchase of some Creative SBS E2400 USB Powered 2.1 speakers, thinking if they are only a bit better than what I have now I will at least be able to listen to some music whilst working on the PC. I thought in 10 years they can only be better than the old ones. I was wrong, so very, very wrong!

They sound bad, worst than the old ones, and I would not even give them away. I will be too embarrassed. I will give them to my 10 year old daughter and set it up in her room to plug her laptop in. They sound tinny, the little sub have no controls (like my old set), the fm radio receives diddly squat (the actual reason I bought it!) and the list goes on. Ok, they were only R750 bucks, but hell I expected more.

Now the question: What do you use to listen to music, just on your desk. No big amps and huge speakers, smaller more compact stuff that you can actually enjoy music with. What can I plug into the line out that will produce some listenable music that is fairly compact? And I don't want all surround 15.7, super everything speakers. I want to keep it simple, just two speakers plus maybe a sub. Not too worried about thumping base, just some decent sound at lowish levels. I would preferably want something that fits on a desk, both sides of the screen. Have place for a sub.

This is the study. Opposite wall a bit tricky.
yATltzw.jpg

This forum has been wonderful to me recently and I would like your help again. Look forward to your suggestions.

Latest posts