Winding toroidal transformer

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PsyCLown

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
Hey all,

So I have been toying with the idea of possibly winding my own transformer, I can get toroidal transformer cores relatively cheap (will need to check shipping costs though).

I watched this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyZ7nM6Fo94 and it seems quite easy. However I am skeptical about using the cardboard and such, I am sure there are better materials to use and will investigate a bit further and look for other tutorials.
I am sure this will take a bit of time but could be a fun learning experience and if one has the time, I imagine it to end up cheaper than buying an equivalent transformer already made. Majority of the cost seems to be in the copper wire, however that is available locally at reasonable prices and in various gauges.

Is there something I am missing, extra hidden costs somewhere or something along those lines?
Perhaps it is significantly more difficult than the YouTube video makes it seem?

Latest posts