The reason behind?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ingvar Ahlberg

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is a question out of honest quriosity, what is most important?

I love the gear i have and use, as those of You who have stumbled across my ramblings know, it?s old stuff, i have and use what i have because i have not found anything i like better.

I like the feel of the Stax tonearm and recognise the perfect workmanship behind, i like that the vertical travel (imbalance) of the platter on the TTS3000is specified to below 1 thousand of a mm. The feel, the build quality and the sound of the stuff i use is important.

But i would choose listening to Merle Haggard on an old Pioneer PL12, Nad 3020 and a pair of AR7 before audiophile test records on the most exclusive and expensive (read: magazines favourite of the month) equipment to be found, any day and allways.

As some might know i?m not a friend of binary stuff but to be honest, i would also choose Merle Haggard on a CD before the audiophile records any day.

For me the music is what it is all about, not only Merle, i like good equipment and when it sounds close to reality, but music comes first hardware next.

What is Your opinion on this topic?

Ingvar