Author Topic: Hi-Def Vinyl  (Read 362 times)

Offline oradba69

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Lerange
Manufacturer of Audio Video furniture.
Importer and distributor of Trichord.
http://www.lerange.co.za

Offline LouisF

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: Hi-Def Vinyl
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 08:52:39 PM »
Sounds marvelous, but I would expect the HD LPs would be much more expensive than what is on the market now.
"No matter how educated, talented, rich or cool you believe you are,
how you treat people ultimately tells all."
David Avocado Wolfe

I have learned more from people who have differed from me than from those who have agreed with me.

Offline King_Julian_S

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Veteran
Hi-Def Vinyl
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 09:27:03 PM »
Noooooo pls keep those things to digital...
if I wanted high def etc I would not look at analogue at all ..

Thereís enough original analogue music produced to last forever ... who needs high def analogue now ..

Itís like buying these valve amps that try to sound like SS ... sad ..

I certainly wonít want my LP to sound like digital high def etc ... and just thinking .. imagine a pop and scratch in high def

But then I read the article and cannot see what it has to do with HD ???
This sounds like the equivalent of compressed digital music ala MP3 etc .. again no thank you ... all formats I came across sounds worse when compressed to save space ... digital , vinyl and tape ..
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 09:32:20 PM by King_Julian_S »
Non audiophile music lover...

Offline handsome

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2018, 12:32:23 PM »
Sounds like the same definition... SD... lol! If they can fit 30% more time onto a disc AND 30% more amplitude you should get the same 'quality'. 

Cutting records longer means reducing the amplitude (level) - making the grooves narrower to allow for more grooves on the side - this decreases the signal to noise ratio and results in less dynamic range. Half the amplitude should give you roughly double the playing length. By the same token higher levels result in less playing time. But there is a limit to how wide a groove can be before you break into the adjacent groove. Also vinyl possesses a certain amount of elasticity so very narrow 'walls' between the grooves (as a result of cutting wider grooves) creates 'post-echo' whereby one starts to hear the next groove whilst the needle is tracking the current groove. It would appear possible then, that they can use their process to create higher amplitudes on a standard length disc - then you will get better sounding recordings compared to same length discs cut and stamped the usual way. But it will be interesting to see how they get around making the 'walls' too thin - perhaps they are using thicker and higher quality vinyl?

Offline 1200GXman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 02:42:19 PM »
If it works, I will go for it if the prices are right. It is just a modernized old school LP stamper. So the process in creating a vinyl is the same (grooves created).
It is just more reliable.
Sansui AU-101, Sansui AU3900, Rotel RA935BX, Pioneer SA-6500 Mkii, Marantz PM53, DIY kit amplifier