Using room correction...

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Willemse

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
It?s a funny game this. The rabbit hole just goes on and on and on...

I?ll skip all the early stories of the quest to put together a decent stereo system. What I?d like to tell is hopefully some good learning for others.

Without making the room look like a studio, I really wanted something special. The room is small, around 3 x 4m. The wall behind the speakers is fully curtained with heavy material - top to bottom, left corner to right. The back wall is treated with three large panels covering most of the wall. Side walls have one large panel each. The floor, a shaggy rug covering about 60%.

Aside from the record player, the system runs digital via usb from a Mac-mini, with content made available through Amarra4 Luxe and using the Dirac powered Impulse Room Correction (IRC).

Lots of experimenting, but eventually figured out what was probably the biggest learning of all. Getting the room acoustics right to the best ability without any processing, then ice the cake.

On all my initial tests, I picked up distortion at even low volume as the IRC was overcompensating. I placed speakers at every position I could imagine from around 1.5m out, back to 30cm from the wall. Paying attention to how IRC maps out the room frequencies before correction is fascinating and will pay big dividends toward your final setup.

Funnily enough, the best positioning turned out to be almost exactly what the speaker manufacturer recommended fro the specific model - 50cm off the back wall to achieve the best out of the lower end of the spectrum.

A member on this forum posted something or other about placing your seating position twice the distance away from the speakers as they are part. Coincidentally, this worked out incredibly, though was far from my staring point.

Another spoke of the centre of a room being a less than ideal listening position... clever guys on here!

The final product saw IRC making minimal changes, but just providing that bit of airiness that it need to bring out its full potential.

It has been very frustrating at times... and this would be a looooooong post if I had to go through all the hiccups.

In the end, it?s just hauntingly beautiful what can be achieved without going too crazy. (Relative)

I?ve learned a lot from many on this forum, and for that I am truly grateful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk