Author Topic: First 2way speaker build  (Read 1398 times)

Online PJFourie

First 2way speaker build
« on: April 06, 2018, 08:06:50 AM »
Hi everyone. Iím still in the speaker building game and I have still much to learn. My interest in all this came from opening a factory built speaker system from an old hifi one day. I was surprised by the poor quality so I decided to give it a try.

I bought the drivers and crossovers from a forum member. Diy audio and video website helped me a lot with all the calculations and guides. I designed the boxes on autocad and asked a friend to help me with building the boxes.

The one box is now almost finished. I connected it up last night and it doesnít sound bad at all to me. I can hear that the tweeter is louder than the woofer so Iíll need to build a small attenuation circuit for the tweeter.

As for the components I used a GRS 1TD1-8 dome tweater, a GRS 8PR-8 poly cone woofer and a Skytronics 100W 2-way crossover (12dB @ 3.5kHz). I constructed the boxes from 16mm mdf board and I used ďdog blanket ď for damping. All the other components I got from a local electronics shop.

Getting the holes for the drivers right was the most difficult part for me and itís still not 100% right. Iím still not sure what to do with the boxes on the outside as I have never attempted veneering. Iím thinking about just painting them.

Here is some pictures:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline vinyljan

Re: First 2way speaker build
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 11:57:06 AM »
You'll probably get more replies if this topic was moved to DIY.  Painting can look very nice....but with MDF  it's all about the prepwork :whistler:
In a maximum bank turn in a normal category airplane, like a typical Cessna, everything is fine until you turn across your own wake

Online PJFourie

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 03:25:05 PM »
Thank you for the advice.

Online PJFourie

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 03:26:20 PM »
Mods can you please move this post to DIY?

Offline LouisF

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 06:18:24 PM »
That speaker looks really great. Good luck with the finishing, I'm sure you'll get it right as well.
"No matter how educated, talented, rich or cool you believe you are,
how you treat people ultimately tells all."
David Avocado Wolfe

I have learned more from people who have differed from me than from those who have agreed with me.

Offline PsyCLown

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2018, 09:14:56 PM »
Nicely done!

DIY is fantastic, I love it. When you start to DIY you quickly realize the how cheaply put together commercial products can be and how easily the performance can be beat for something of similar value if you are willing to put some time into it and do it yourself - plus it is great fun and you learn a lot.
Amps: 4x 150W into 8ohm (LJM L15D)
DSP: MiniDSP NanoAVR HDA & UMIK
Speakers:DIY Full Range Phillips AD12202 & Speakerplan's X15 on loan
Sub: DIY 12" ported & Peerless 10" Sealed on loan
Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT770 LE

Online bbe22

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2018, 09:24:12 PM »
as I have never attempted veneering    -

Here is a video where a local (Cape) speaker builder go "veneering" as part of a build without getting overly complicated.........

https://youtu.be/PCxULkkMPdA
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 09:27:44 PM by bbe22 »

Offline vinyljan

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2018, 07:39:08 AM »
What is regarded as the most used crossover frequency for 2 ways, or does it depend on the drivers  :thinking:..  and on 3 ways ("normal" drivers, not horns)
In a maximum bank turn in a normal category airplane, like a typical Cessna, everything is fine until you turn across your own wake

Offline Mongoose

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2018, 11:51:24 AM »
Is Autocad able to give internal volume using TS parameters? Or how did you get the proper internal volume for the box?

Great first attempt by the way  :2thumbs:

Go with veneer. Im no pro, but I would be more than happy with helping out if need be. I can speak to a buddy of mine who works at finewood veneers.

Online PJFourie

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2018, 07:27:29 PM »
Hi Mongoose. Thanks man. Iím not that clued up with autocad. I went to:

https://www.diyaudioandvideo.com/Calculator/SpeakerBoxVolume/

I might take you up on that offer.

Online PJFourie

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2018, 07:45:42 PM »
The same website also helped me with the attenuation circuit for the tweeters as they were 5dB more sensitive than the woofers.

Online PJFourie

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2018, 09:59:56 PM »
So after a lot of thinking my wife came up with an idea and said why donít we decoupage the speaker cabinets. We went to go look for some ďmodge podgeĒ glue and also found some nice looking african theme table napkins. After watching a few YouTube videos we attempted it and this is how it turned out.....

Online PJFourie

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2018, 10:01:23 PM »

Offline SeanS

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2018, 08:14:15 AM »
looks great  :thumbs:.. how do they sound?

Online PJFourie

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2018, 09:51:24 AM »
Thanks Sean. At first...very disappointing, but after sorting out the tweeter attenuation and the port they sound quite good to me. Then again Iím no pro so they might sound crap to you