Author Topic: Does anybody recognise these Luxman amps and eq.  (Read 770 times)

Online Michon

Does anybody recognise these Luxman amps and eq.
« on: April 05, 2018, 03:57:35 PM »
I recently got the following units from a relative. There is very little info on them online.
Has anybody else seen these in the past or know more about them, like release date?

Two Luxman MQ830 stereo amplifiers and a Luxman FL153 active equalizer.

On the amplifier one has to unscrew the metal covers to get to the level controls which are turned with a flat screwdriver.

Tidal HiFi > MOTU 828x > Speaker build pending.
                                   > Schiit Lyr > Sennheiser HD600 & HD800.

Offline fdlsys

• Vinylist
  • Trader
  • Trade Count: (+86)
  • Do you like life, sweetheart?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 04:03:34 PM by fdlsys »
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry
Come back when you’ve lived a little. Miles Davis

Online Michon

Re: Does anybody recognise these Luxman amps and eq.
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 04:05:01 PM »
Active crossover, not equaliser.

Of course, thank you. I accidentally mistyped as I was day dreaming while I wrote the post.

Offline Agaton Sax

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 04:37:43 PM »
I know that crossover very well. I used one for more than a decade with very good results. Most memorable was a Frankenstein speaker system with Magnepan Tympani woofers and QLN mini monitors with  Infinity EMIT tweeters. Amps came and went, Radford, Luxman, Audio Research valves  and Yamaha, APT Holman  and other SS. The little Luxman soldiered on bravely. The Krell Reference crossover that replaced it didn't quite have the magic of the little Luxman.

Online Michon

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2018, 05:59:29 PM »
That's good news, thank you Agaton.

Do you have a photo of the Frankenstein speaker system?

This little combo of equipment has got me thinking that I should buy or build a pair of two or three way speakers for it.
Now to find drivers that will work with the following crossover points and slopes:

Offline King_Julian_S

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2018, 06:43:34 PM »
I need something like that for a two way ...

I always wonder if one can use these to determine an XO point and then build the XO
Non audiophile music lover...

Online Michon

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2018, 07:43:42 PM »
I need something like that for a two way ...

I always wonder if one can use these to determine an XO point and then build the XO

You can, but the gaps in between the crossover points are quite large on this unit and it only does first order or second order slopes.

You may want something more flexible than this unit for that purpose, for example; a dsp crossover like the Behringer DCX2496 or SoundEasy with a DAC with many outputs allows you to sim a XO in software, output the separate bands to the different DAC outputs so you can test the circuit prior to building it.

I know that crossover very well. I used one for more than a decade with very good results.

Do you know if the Luxman is a Butterworth, Bessel or Linkwitz-Riley?

Offline Kent Kassler

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2018, 08:19:56 PM »
They look awesome!Put me in line for an amp!:)
Audiophile Sound Sommelier Extraordinaire....aka Manic Depressive Temporary Void Filler Deluxe.

Online Michon

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2018, 08:43:47 PM »
They look awesome!Put me in line for an amp!:)

Noted.
Another member sent PM requesting the same earlier so you're second in line should I part with them one day.

Offline King_Julian_S

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2018, 09:25:02 PM »
You can, but the gaps in between the crossover points are quite large on this unit and it only does first order or second order slopes.

You may want something more flexible than this unit for that purpose, for example; a dsp crossover like the Behringer DCX2496 or SoundEasy with a DAC with many outputs allows you to sim a XO in software, output the separate bands to the different DAC outputs so you can test the circuit prior to building it.

Do you know if the Luxman is a Butterworth, Bessel or Linkwitz-Riley?

Tx Mich...

I should have qualified .. ..
u know me and my “wonderful” ideas ..

I was thinking to XO two full range drivers
Somewhere in the LF so it should be an easy one with small slope since both drivers can play way beyond being fullrange ... just love the bigger drivers better for LF and the smaller for mid and HF..
so in essence a two way with full rangers..

Anyway .. Tx for pointing out the other tips

Non audiophile music lover...