Dishonesty at mobile phone shops

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisc

AVForums Grandmaster
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
Summary

During a SIM swap at a ***** store, a person, who I supposed was an employee of the store, took the phone through to the back of the store to open the SIM tray.  He was not an employee and stole the phone.  No-one at the shop knew anything about it, they said

Fast forward 3 years

I ascertained that the manager at ****** Kenllworth Centre was arrested during a sting when she allowed a non-employee to take a "customer's" phone into the back of the shop via the right-hand door, only to exit via the left-hand door with the phone in his pocket.  A SAPS officer was waiting for him.  This occurred in Feb 2017.  She received a suspended sentence

She had also unplugged the DVR attached to the cameras in the shop.  Even worse was the CCTV monitoring company, ******vision (I was told) did not "notice" that the CCTV feed was turned off every day at about 8.15 and back on at 5.30.  They said they thought it was a communication problem.  Their techie went around and turned it back on, but this only lasted a few hours and was not followed up

The first claim, in March 2014 was repudiated since the ins co said I had not taken "due care" with the phone.  After the arrest and conviction of this manageress, I again approached the ins co since it was a deliberate act and not negligence.  However, the claim was now time-barred.  The insurance ombudsman agreed with the ins co

I have approached the mobile phone co, through various helpful people on MyBB.  Apart from a promise to investigate, there is no action