Author Topic: Amp recommendations for Audeze EL-8 (closed)  (Read 1621 times)

Offline kamikazi

Re: Amp recommendations for Audeze EL-8 (closed)
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2018, 10:43:00 AM »
Looking at the efficiency rating of the LCD2s, there shouldn't be any issue driving them with the Mojo as far as I can tell?

Offline Doge

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Recovering Audiophile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2018, 12:46:54 PM »
^^^

From experience I can tell you that the Mojo will drive the LCD-2 cleanly at deafening levels.

Offline Drifter

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • otherside of the Boerewors Gordyn ...
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2018, 01:58:01 PM »
The LCD2's are 70ohm. I drive them with my iPhone alone to decent volumes. The LCD-X are even easier to drive at 20ohm.
I initially just had the iphone, then used an Audioquest Dragonfly which worked  fine as well, then a Jolida tube DAC/HP amp and then moved on to the Deckard. They are really easy to drive but give them some power, and they deliver bass notes to die for.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 02:06:55 PM by Drifter »

Offline Doge

• AVForums Grandmaster
  • Recovering Audiophile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2018, 03:40:48 PM »
The LCD2's are 70ohm. I drive them with my iPhone alone to decent volumes. The LCD-X are even easier to drive at 20ohm.
I initially just had the iphone, then used an Audioquest Dragonfly which worked  fine as well, then a Jolida tube DAC/HP amp and then moved on to the Deckard. They are really easy to drive but give them some power, and they deliver bass notes to die for.

There is an incorrect assumption here that Low Z => easy to drive.

The LCD-X is more sensitive than the LCD-2, meaning that it requires less voltage and thus appears louder.

The truth is the LCD-X requires 90% more power than the LCD-2 to achieve the same volume level.

If you believe that power overhead => better bass (another egregious assumption) the LCD-X is harder to drive.

Offline Drifter

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • otherside of the Boerewors Gordyn ...
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2018, 05:51:09 PM »
There is an incorrect assumption here that Low Z => easy to drive.

Did not mean to create any assumptions but simply wanted to mention that the LCD-X is a more efficient design and that the LCD2 is therefore not the only option in the LCD-series and that there are easier to drive alternatives (as that was the OP's initial concern):

If you believe that power overhead => better bass (another egregious assumption) the LCD-X is harder to drive.

I don't believe anything. I'm simply relaying my experience by moving to more powerful amplification.

You appear quite tense for someone who should be free from the daily stresses caused by SA politics:

:giggle:

Offline SeanS

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2018, 08:59:19 PM »
Headphone amps for efficient / mid level headphones is seriously overrated. Make sure you have a good source and invest in better transducers.

Must say, I have a Yulong DA-8 which has an apparently good headphone amp.. however I use a DIY headphone amp, much better.. I would prefer to prefer the Yulong but it loses. I use Tidal > Yulong to HP AMP > HD650.

always best to try an external HP amp as an option.

Offline kamikazi

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2018, 07:11:58 PM »
I depends entirely on the DAC/amp and the design. Some DACs have very decent amps built into them, others are afterthoughts or extremely cheap. I have had many DACs which had very competent amplifiers built into them.

In terms of easiness to drive, look Doge mentioned, look at the headphone sensitivity specification, not the impedance rating. The impedance rating is important to match the headphone to the right amplifier.

Offline Doge

• AVForums Grandmaster
  • Recovering Audiophile
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2018, 05:22:05 PM »
In terms of easiness to drive, like Doge mentioned, look at the headphone sensitivity specification, not the impedance rating.

Sadly a lot of manufacturers don't specify this and list efficiency instead; although it's easy to calculate if one could be arsed.

Offline 8thMan

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2018, 07:51:46 PM »
Have read on head-fi that the Mojo + Alo Continental v5 is a very good match.

At $799 it's in the price range of many desktop amps but the portability is a huge bonus to me.

Also it has DIY tube rolling possibilities...although DIY for me usually means Damage It Yourself  :giggle:

Does anyone know if they have a local distributor for pricing enquiries?

Btw... in terms of power requirements, on their website Audeze recommends between 1 and 4 watts power for the LCD-2/LCD-X as optimum.

Offline gavinbirss

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2018, 08:47:04 AM »
Headphones like the Audeze LCD are a purely resistive load so impedance is not a useful indicator for power requirements. 1-4 watt can be misleading as this probably means into 8ohms.

The woo audio WA7 2nd Gen being single ended looks like a strong contender. Although a pono with balanced cables can drive a pair of Audeze LCD2. Some may argue more power will be better but it does work.

The woo however is between $999 and $1599 with the tube power supply.

Offline capetownwatches

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2018, 10:50:56 AM »
Headphones like the Audeze LCD are a purely resistive load so impedance is not a useful indicator for power requirements. 1-4 watt can be misleading as this probably means into 8ohms.

The woo audio WA7 2nd Gen being single ended looks like a strong contender. Although a pono with balanced cables can drive a pair of Audeze LCD2. Some may argue more power will be better but it does work.

The woo however is between $999 and $1599 with the tube power supply.

The WA7 is an incredible sounding amp and drives LCD2 with authority on low gain.
Doesn't even break a sweat.
A great combo IMHO.

Should you want to have a listen, let me know... :)

Kingrex HQ1-Benchmark DAC1 USB-NFB11.32-Little Dot MKll
LCD2F-HD600-DT990Pro-K612Pro-K240S K171MKll-M4U2-Y50

Offline gavinbirss

« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2018, 12:58:29 PM »
The WA7 is an incredible sounding amp and drives LCD2 with authority on low gain.
Doesn't even break a sweat.
A great combo IMHO.

Should you want to have a listen, let me know... :)

Thanks,

FedEx have a WA7 2nd gen in their hands and are on their way to me. I am patiently waiting...
 :groovy:

Offline 8thMan

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2018, 02:50:05 PM »
Thanks,

FedEx have a WA7 2nd gen in their hands and are on their way to me. I am patiently waiting...
 :groovy:
Awesome.

Did you opt for any of the upgrades?

In terms of value for money...Does portable amps perform at the same level as desktop amps that is in the same price bracket?

The desktop amps will have more power in most cases but can the portable amps compare in sound quality?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Offline gavinbirss

« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2018, 06:21:46 PM »
No upgrades, so solid state powersupply and an extra set of stock Sovtek 6C45 tubes.

Will be comparing headphone output to Soekris DAC1541, SPL Phonitor mini and Pono player.

Will be be comparing internal DAC to Soekris DAC1541 (new 4K filters, firmware 1.20),  Dam1021, Pono (WA7 has same DAC :9018k2m)

May prefer single ended output of WA7

Headphones, Grado SR80i,  AKG 501/242 mk2/Q701 and Audeze LCD 2.0.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 06:27:18 PM by gavinbirss »

Offline capetownwatches

« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2018, 08:19:54 PM »
No upgrades, so solid state powersupply and an extra set of stock Sovtek 6C45 tubes.

Will be comparing headphone output to Soekris DAC1541, SPL Phonitor mini and Pono player.

Will be be comparing internal DAC to Soekris DAC1541 (new 4K filters, firmware 1.20),  Dam1021, Pono (WA7 has same DAC :9018k2m)

May prefer single ended output of WA7

Headphones, Grado SR80i,  AKG 501/242 mk2/Q701 and Audeze LCD 2.0.
Impressions are mandatory or it didn't happen...looking forward to them!

The first thing you'll notice is the total lack of noise - just a deep black silence which gets deeper as the tubes burn in a bit.
6C45 does improve quite noticeably for the first 60 hours or so.

The amp has seemingly endless reserves of smooth power with serious punch and dynamics. It's fast and accurate with a good, not great, soundstage.
But no matter - it's a superb all-rounder.
It's an amp that is so pleasurable to listen to that you'll find any excuse to do so.

My experience is with LCD2F, K812, HD600 (sublime!), DT990Pro 250, etc etc.
Worked great with all of them. Drove T50RP MKII with ease.

You'll need to experiment with gain to see what sounds best to you. WA7 has a slightly "different" than usual gain.

You have a real treat in store - enjoy!

Kingrex HQ1-Benchmark DAC1 USB-NFB11.32-Little Dot MKll
LCD2F-HD600-DT990Pro-K612Pro-K240S K171MKll-M4U2-Y50