Author Topic: Open Backed Headphones - Hifiman HE400I  (Read 2062 times)

Offline Gifted

Re: Open Backed Headphones - Hifiman HE400I
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2018, 11:33:45 AM »
They just arrived!  :goofy:

Turns out im over the moon I took the risk and ordered an open box pair...

One of reasons Hifiman have been selling 400I headies off so cheap is that the have replaced the original nice fancy box with just a more normal cardboard box obviously to save a bunch of cash. This is what I thought I would get, but my open box pair are actually the fancy original leather style box. Which I have to say is amazing. They are in perfect condition.. even still has the silcon gel packets in the box yet alone any damage.. and are the new version with 2.5mm jacks so couldn't be happier.

Not had the chance to listen to them on anything other than my phone which doesn't push them loud enough to really test (my wife says im deaf.. and clearly plays music far to loud), so looking forward to getting home. Initial impressions however are they are completely different from the closed cans im used to (Audio Technica MSR7)... as ive never even listened to any open pair of cans before (And these are super open... its almost as loud outside the headies as wearing them) its harder for me to explain. initially it feels like you loose allot of base but made up for the fact the the sound is just so wide. Its like your listening to speakers a few meters away from my ears and not headphones, they sound so different. Listened to Dire Straights, Brothers in Arms and it was amazing, sounds like a completely new track.

Cant wait to try them at home with a better source. - Also Ive never felt headphones this comfortable...  :clap: :clap:

Offline seeyou

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2018, 11:40:09 AM »
Enjoy :)

And be sure to drop breadcrumbs as you make your way down the rabbit hole..

Offline capetownwatches

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2018, 03:30:43 PM »
Enjoy :)

And be sure to drop breadcrumbs as you make your way down the rabbit hole..

Whoooosh!!! The sound of another newbie in free fall... :BWAHAHAH:

Congrats on the headphones, they will definitely open your ears to a different way of hearing your music.
And they should sound quite excellent driven by the HP-A3 - a good pairing on paper at least.

Awaiting impressions!

Kingrex HQ1-Benchmark DAC1 USB-NFB11.32-Little Dot MKll
LCD2F-HD600-DT990Pro-K612Pro-K240S K171MKll-M4U2-Y50

Offline kamikazi

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2018, 07:02:37 PM »
Congrats on the purchase! I see you are in the same town as me, if you are keen you could check out these on the Project Ember that I've got and it would be fun to compare the HE400i's against the HE-500s.

Offline Gifted

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2018, 03:18:17 PM »
Thanks guys.

I've had some time to sit down with them over the weekend... (listening now as I type this)

They certainly sound much better on the HP-A3 - although it really shows out some of my lesser quality MP3's - Now having to update a fair chunk of my library from back in the day. 320kbps tracks sound great though and im not someone that can tell the difference from that to lossless if im honest. 

From detailed listening and switching back to my old closed MSR7's my initial 'The base is lacking' comment I think is untrue... its more like the base is different. Vocals and mids on the 400i's are just truly outstanding and the soundstage from the open feel is not like anything I have experienced on Headphones before (obviously im a complete newbie so I don't have any other reference points) - Because of the wide soundstage the base is just less 'in your face'.. the big difference I notice is that the lows are present at really low volumes. My old closed sets sounded great at max volume but clearly  its the sealed nature of the cans that gives the base thump not just the drivers themselves.

Anyway im really enjoying them, and I really cant believe how comfortable they are which is something I really struggled with before - I used to always get hot ears and earache with any other headphones after an hour or so - at the moment I can hardly notice im wearing the 400i's.

Forgot to say I also picked up a par of Hifiman RE600 IEMS.. for travel etc. but ive only had 10mins with those as yet  (I dont generally use iems at home)- initial impressions on those is only how stupidly over the top the box is  :rubhands: and how small they are, but the couple of tracks I listened to sounded great, obviously very easy to drive as my S8+ was all that was needed there.

Offline Gifted

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2018, 03:26:10 PM »
Congrats on the purchase! I see you are in the same town as me, if you are keen you could check out these on the Project Ember that I've got and it would be fun to compare the HE400i's against the HE-500s.

Oh ok, yea that sounds cool, where in SW are you?. I've never listened to a tube amp before... although slightly scared as if it sounds amazing compared to my little dac/amp im gonna have an empty wallet again!  :headbanger:

Id certainly like to try other sets of open cans just to broaden my knowledge... like I said its not like I have many points of reference at this point.  Previously tbh the best sound quality I had available to me was probably my car... (although to be fair it has got a really amazing factory Bowers & Wilkins system in it)

Offline Audio

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2018, 01:48:17 AM »
Hifiman has decent quality control you should be fine if you treat them with respect. I have had my He 560 for years with no issues and they look like they were almost new

Offline Gifted

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2018, 01:40:57 PM »
Yea I've been using them all the time and I'm not worried at all now. Seem very well made tbh. Still amazed at the comfort.

Offline Yanko

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2018, 08:53:06 AM »
Hi Guys.

After a little advice. I love audio but consider myself a bit of a beginner enthusiast tbh -  Im looking for a good pair of open backs but not really willing to spend ridiculous money on them.

It looks like hifiman are selling off 400I's for silly price on amazon - https://www.amazon.com/HIFIMAN-HE-400I-Full-size-Magnetic-Headphones/dp/B00MULH672/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1522137079&sr=8-2&keywords=he400i

Thats probably the top end of what I would be willing to pay - with amazon shipping its about R3700 delivered which is a huge drop on the release price I guess and reviews seem positive.

My concern is the build quility. I have heard horrors of the plastic headband braking etc. - I would be using them just for desk listening at home so its not like I plan and moving them around allot.

So you think this is a good buy.. or anyone have any decent alternatives?

Cheers.

You should be careful with hifiman. Cheap planars aren't worth it, stick with dynamics till you can afford better

Offline Tenflare

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Gaming on orthodynamics since 2006.
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2018, 08:57:36 AM »
You should be careful with hifiman. Cheap planars aren't worth it, stick with dynamics till you can afford better
"Cheap planar" is a relative term. 

Most people would consider dropping over R2K on any pair of headphones to be insanity. Sure, you can't go wrong with Oppo or Audeze over ears, but some of us may never ever be able to easily afford even LCD-2's.

I always bring up Fostex's TRP series which are comparable in price to Hifimans, but legendary for not only their sound but their rigidity -- which is why they mod so well, and why you can still find still-working ancient studio pairs at second hand gear shops. Hifimans are undeniably delicate on the other hand for sure, but that just means they should be handled with due respect.   
Never use a graph when a good metaphor will do...

Offline Yanko

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2018, 08:54:03 AM »
"Cheap planar" is a relative term. 

Most people would consider dropping over R2K on any pair of headphones to be insanity. Sure, you can't go wrong with Oppo or Audeze over ears, but some of us may never ever be able to easily afford even LCD-2's.

I always bring up Fostex's TRP series which are comparable in price to Hifimans, but legendary for not only their sound but their rigidity -- which is why they mod so well, and why you can still find still-working ancient studio pairs at second hand gear shops. Hifimans are undeniably delicate on the other hand for sure, but that just means they should be handled with due respect.   

Fostex trp are considered a grey area, they have a planar driver but share non of the characteristics and need a lot of power to sound alright. I'd say the cheapest entry point for orthodynamics  should be at least a second hand HE-500 and now maybe the sundara may be good option aswell. For 2k you can get a better dynamic that would be a better investment than a cheap hifiman.

Offline kamikazi

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2018, 07:48:36 PM »
My Hifiman is going on 6-7 years now and has been pretty bulletproof. There is absolutely nothing entry level about the HE-500s sound.

Offline Tenflare

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Gaming on orthodynamics since 2006.
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2018, 12:23:31 AM »
Fostex trp are considered a grey area, they have a planar driver but share non of the characteristics and need a lot of power to sound alright. I'd say the cheapest entry point for orthodynamics  should be at least a second hand HE-500 and now maybe the sundara may be good option aswell. For 2k you can get a better dynamic that would be a better investment than a cheap hifiman.
You get far better value for money on a brand new pair of M1060's than the Sundara, even second hand. Despite notable flaws in build and brand, they are the quintessential entry level planars and not even close to deserving of some of the criticism they get. I'm shocked that more of us don't own this amazing pair of headphones but I seem to be the only one right now.

I think we can all agree that there's a degree of mystique and magic around planar tech that can be very seductive, especially when you're first getting into the headfi game. I remember wanting Hifimans more than anything before I eventually "settled" for DT990's. I wasn't exactly comfortable buying from Amazon at the time to get the deal I wanted as local prices were a bit inflated at the time. No regrets as until I pull the trigger on the DT1990's, the 990's are my babies.

That being said, I definitely agree on your dynamic argument as there are a slew of giant killing options available in the 2K price range. It's definitely a position I'd like to be in more often.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 12:28:51 AM by Tenflare »
Never use a graph when a good metaphor will do...

Offline Yanko

« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2018, 09:04:45 AM »
You get far better value for money on a brand new pair of M1060's than the Sundara, even second hand. Despite notable flaws in build and brand, they are the quintessential entry level planars and not even close to deserving of some of the criticism they get. I'm shocked that more of us don't own this amazing pair of headphones but I seem to be the only one right now.

I think we can all agree that there's a degree of mystique and magic around planar tech that can be very seductive, especially when you're first getting into the headfi game. I remember wanting Hifimans more than anything before I eventually "settled" for DT990's. I wasn't exactly comfortable buying from Amazon at the time to get the deal I wanted as local prices were a bit inflated at the time. No regrets as until I pull the trigger on the DT1990's, the 990's are my babies.

That being said, I definitely agree on your dynamic argument as there are a slew of giant killing options available in the 2K price range. It's definitely a position I'd like to be in more often.

The M1060's are very flawed in tonality as well. HD660's are better than DT1990's and less expensive. I've tried DT990's and i couldn't stand them, the treble is horrible. there aren't any great cheap planar's around yet. my 2 cents

Offline Scubadude

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Depressed? Cans on, volume up, ignore the world!
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2018, 10:53:52 AM »
Best current buy is end of line  HE560. Don't believe all the shyte you read about it being fragile ... With force you break off your finger in your ear.  My pair is about 3 years old and performing flawlessly.
"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass