Author Topic: Open Backed Headphones - Hifiman HE400I  (Read 2503 times)

Offline Gifted

Re: Open Backed Headphones - Hifiman HE400I
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2018, 09:15:49 AM »
Clearly people are always going to **** on hifiman for being Chinese, But then in the 60's everyone did the same with anything from Japan.... 'Jap Crap'

Having spent some time in China im telling you now that they are seriously getting their act together. Shanghai is mental.

Spent a fair amount of time with the HE400's now... and Im well impressed. They certainly dont feel entry level.

Offline Gifted

« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2018, 09:37:57 AM »
The He-400I's are back on amazon at $219. I still think for the money there is not much that compete... obviously huge mark down from original.

Offline capetownwatches

« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2018, 09:54:38 AM »
Best current buy is end of line  HE560. Don't believe all the shyte you read about it being fragile ... With force you break off your finger in your ear.  My pair is about 3 years old and performing flawlessly.

Incredible value for money: https://www.adorama.com/hmhe560.html?sdtid=11472611&emailprice=t

Just have to add my  :2c: I spent some time with a pair of HE400S and in my opinion and with my gear it was a great headphone and I enjoyed it immensely.
A solid all-rounder and great value at the end of line price. No quality issues at all. I could easily live with it for general listening.

I would think that the HE400i performs in similar fashion. Enjoy them!  :thumbs:

Kingrex HQ1-Benchmark DAC1 USB-NFB11.32-Little Dot MKll
LCD2F-HD600-DT990Pro-K612Pro-K240S K171MKll-M4U2-Y50

Offline Tenflare

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Gaming on orthodynamics since 2006.
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2018, 10:36:49 AM »
The M1060's are very flawed in tonality as well. HD660's are better than DT1990's and less expensive. I've tried DT990's and i couldn't stand them, the treble is horrible. there aren't any great cheap planar's around yet. my 2 cents
I have no issues with the sound of the M1060's. Anyone who is, probably owns a lot more more expensive headphones. But to each his own.

As for the HD660S. They aren't better. They are different --  and are strictly audiophile headphones. The DT1990's are studio reference cans and the treble is a lot smoother than the DT990's which are still my favourites.

Furthermore, I am happy to live with the 6XX's and the rest of my collection but I don't currently own a trustworthy pair of reference headphones.

Never use a graph when a good metaphor will do...

Offline canman1971

« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2018, 12:12:33 AM »
HiFiman dropping HE400I and HE560. HE400I going to Massdrop to with different headband to phase out. Hifiman intend to focus only on high end:

HE400S (for now)
Sundara
Edition X V2
HE1000V2
Susvara
Shangri-la jr
Shangri-la

Offline Atjan

« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2018, 02:46:27 PM »
As far as headphones go, I see myself as a novice. So far I have owned a few back headphones (AKGs,JBL,Bose) and a stack of ear-channel phones before I got the Hifiman HE400's. Of the lot, without a doubt, the Hifiman is the best build and, predictably, sounds the best too.
It's still a long way off from sounding as good as my hifi, but unfortunately I can't work that well sitting on my listening chair. :)
It's only hifi people....

Offline Dhiveshan

« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2018, 05:22:19 PM »

I had the b&w p7 as my primary wired headphone before getting these earlier this month. While I wouldn't say they're dramatically better they certainly are different. Much more comfortable out of the box. They sound noticeably revealing and balanced but, I'm not sure if that's just the "planar sound" or the fact that it's my first open back headphone or something specific to the 400i.

Offline Atjan

« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2018, 12:40:41 PM »

I had the b&w p7 as my primary wired headphone before getting these earlier this month. While I wouldn't say they're dramatically better they certainly are different. Much more comfortable out of the box. They sound noticeably revealing and balanced but, I'm not sure if that's just the "planar sound" or the fact that it's my first open back headphone or something specific to the 400i.

I'd agree that they're not the last word in audio refinement, but pretty good non the less. From a few brief meetings with AT ATH M50X's I might actually prefer them to the HE400i's, but I wanted to own planar headphones for a bit.

Online gLer

« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2018, 11:25:23 AM »
I'd agree that they're not the last word in audio refinement, but pretty good non the less. From a few brief meetings with AT ATH M50X's I might actually prefer them to the HE400i's, but I wanted to own planar headphones for a bit.
I think if you rate the sound quality of the M50X I would recommend expanding your headphone horizons a bit further. The 400i is definitely no yardstick either, but then we are talking about “entry level” headphones here. You’ll get a significant jump up in quality when you start listening to mid-tier benchmarks like the Sennheiser HD600 and HD650, and another jump when you go even further up. Yes that means spending upward of R5k on headphones, but it gets better and better all the way up to R15k - R20k and beyond. If you consider R2k ‘insanity’ for headphones, maybe hi-fi quality head-fi isn’t your thing. Nothing wrong with that either, just saying.
Currently used: Audeze LCD-3F, ZMF Atticus, Rock Zircon, Audio-GD R2R-11, iFi Micro iDSD, Cayin N3

Previously used: Audeze LCD-2F, Fostex TH-X00, B&W P7, B&W P5, V-Moda Crossfade Wireless, V-Moda M-100, Matrix HPA-3B, Woo WA3, Sound Blaster E5 and E3

Offline Rogueelement

« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2018, 10:52:14 PM »
Going from an HD555 to the HD599 was a big jump, however I think the jump to the Hifiman HE400i was less pronounced but I must admit it was the first time I was really wowed by sound. It inspired me to import a Schiit Magni 3. Well worth it. When I hit 50 posts I will getting rid of my HE400i too as I think the Sundara/Ananda is where I will end my audio journey.

Offline Atjan

« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2018, 01:27:23 AM »
If you consider R2k ‘insanity’ for headphones, maybe hi-fi quality head-fi isn’t your thing. Nothing wrong with that either, just saying.
I've crossed that line with the HE400i's already.  :whistler: The HD650's is on my radar, just have a few other priorities at the moment.