Author Topic: Need advice...Audeze Sine - or- Sennheiser HD599 - or- Shure 840  (Read 256 times)

Offline LordBacon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Junior Member
  • Beginner / noob / newbie
    • Wie's Jou Pappa
After my headsets where stolen earlier this year  :walled: , i am finally ready to buy a new set of cans....

I will mainly be using them in an office environment and will be using them at home in the evenings. Budget is an issue, and as i am going to have to have them travel with me too and from work daily i am looking for something that is sturdy - replaceable cables is a must.

The options are based on quality of sound and obvious compromises between cost / performance.

I previously had the Audio Technica mx40 so i would like an upgrade.

A work colleague has a set of Shure 840 's and i found them to be superior to the mx40.

I am using the work mac's output as the DAC/AMP i had was also stolen, while at home i have the micca origen+

The question now is - do i take the Shure saving R1k (potentially getting a 2nd hand dac/amp), or the more expensive Audeze and ferry them too and from work? Or continue to use my in-ear buds at work, and use the Sennheisers at home exclusively? Most of my listening is done at work.

your advice is appreciated, and if you have any other recommendations (up to R3800) i would like to hear what alternatives you think would suit me better.

Offline gLer

Re: Need advice...Audeze Sine - or- Sennheiser HD599 - or- Shure 840
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 11:29:32 AM »
After my headsets where stolen earlier this year  :walled: , i am finally ready to buy a new set of cans....

I will mainly be using them in an office environment and will be using them at home in the evenings. Budget is an issue, and as i am going to have to have them travel with me too and from work daily i am looking for something that is sturdy - replaceable cables is a must.

The options are based on quality of sound and obvious compromises between cost / performance.

I previously had the Audio Technica mx40 so i would like an upgrade.

A work colleague has a set of Shure 840 's and i found them to be superior to the mx40.

I am using the work mac's output as the DAC/AMP i had was also stolen, while at home i have the micca origen+

The question now is - do i take the Shure saving R1k (potentially getting a 2nd hand dac/amp), or the more expensive Audeze and ferry them too and from work? Or continue to use my in-ear buds at work, and use the Sennheisers at home exclusively? Most of my listening is done at work.

your advice is appreciated, and if you have any other recommendations (up to R3800) i would like to hear what alternatives you think would suit me better.
For R3800 you can buy/import a superb set of in-ears that won’t require the level of amplification something like the Sine would need to sound half-decent. I wouldn’t run a Sine off my Mac. Local options are limited; check out the classifieds, Gumtree or Amazon.
Audirvana+ >> Audio-gd R-28 >> Elear / LCD-3

Offline Doge

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Recovering Audiophile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 01:22:23 PM »
Have you considered the closed-back Sennheiser 569? The range is definitely top of my list for comfort.

The M50x has a better driver than the M40x, but with the same V-shape it's a little too hot for some.

Offline LordBacon

• AVForums Junior Member
    • Wie's Jou Pappa
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2018, 01:35:35 PM »
Shortly after starting the post i checked the 569's out !

It's now in the list as well! the 569 will probably replace the 599's due to them being perfect for work environment as well!

What i saw online the Audeze need proper EQ to work well without the Cipher cable (something i will not use, due to no ios device)

So current shortlist is the Shures and the 569's. With all the reviews i read the Shures are better than the mx50, and i know that the 840 sounds better than my old m40x.

Offline Doge

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Recovering Audiophile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2018, 03:50:13 PM »
Boils down to personal taste, I haven't heard the 840 but I have heard the 1540 and I really don't like them. The M50x does a lot of things the M40x just can't but those treble peaks are a deal-breaker for me where they're a little softened in the M40x.

I haven't heard the sine but AFAIK the Cipher cable doesn't do too much on the Sine and they're still pretty good without. I personally really dislike on-ears but from the sounds of things the new M60x has done a real trick in that segment for considerably less money.

I am also suspicious of less expensive planars in general; they all seem to either have some potentially deal-breaking flaw or just end up being "meh", but more expensive.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 03:52:32 PM by Doge »

Offline Rogueelement

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2018, 10:48:29 PM »
I have a pair of HD599 and they are great. However, not as good as my Hifiman HE400i.
[EDIT]
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 08:12:05 PM by Curlycat »

Offline LordBacon

• AVForums Junior Member
    • Wie's Jou Pappa
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2018, 09:11:15 AM »
Thank you for everyones input!!!

Looking at reviews now of the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Plus Thanks for that suggestion!

Offline Tenflare

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Gaming on orthodynamics since 2006.
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2018, 11:05:09 AM »
I bought the HD599 for a steal last year and I have to say that it is underrated.

The price for a new pair is stupid but second hand, at about R2000, they offer a similar (albeit less refined) experience to the HD650's without the need for the additional amplification. Great for gaming and movies too with the imaging. Maybe take a serious look at @Rogueelement's offer before pressing forward.
Never use a graph when a good metaphor will do...