Author Topic: Open Backed Headphones - Hifiman HE400I  (Read 2520 times)

Offline Gifted

Open Backed Headphones - Hifiman HE400I
« on: March 27, 2018, 09:55:36 AM »
Hi Guys.

After a little advice. I love audio but consider myself a bit of a beginner enthusiast tbh -  Im looking for a good pair of open backs but not really willing to spend ridiculous money on them.

It looks like hifiman are selling off 400I's for silly price on amazon - https://www.amazon.com/HIFIMAN-HE-400I-Full-size-Magnetic-Headphones/dp/B00MULH672/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1522137079&sr=8-2&keywords=he400i

Thats probably the top end of what I would be willing to pay - with amazon shipping its about R3700 delivered which is a huge drop on the release price I guess and reviews seem positive.

My concern is the build quility. I have heard horrors of the plastic headband braking etc. - I would be using them just for desk listening at home so its not like I plan and moving them around allot.

So you think this is a good buy.. or anyone have any decent alternatives?

Cheers.

Offline kamikazi

Re: Open Backed Headphones - Hifiman HE400I
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 10:09:57 PM »
If you treat your headphones carefully nothing should happen to them. Hifiman does provide spares through their online store or you can get them repaired if you ship them in. Imo it's a good price, but make sure you like Hifiman's sonic signature, otherwise getting a Sennheiser HD6XX or HD600 locally is perhaps a safer bet, they should be equals on sound quality. If you like to explore even cheaper open headphone options you can look at the Philips SHP-9500 for around $75. FWIW, I have had my HE-500s for 6 years now and they are still going strong.

Offline canman1971

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 11:51:56 PM »
CPlan Audio South Africa is the official agent and distributor for HiFiMan with an authorized Tech Center. For a few more bucks the 400S is worth it.

Offline Atjan

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 04:07:16 AM »
I have the older HE400 - listening with them now - and I really can't complain about build quality. Open backed was a change for me - bass is a bit different and the effect of outside noise. Overall I'm enjoying mine.
It's only hifi people....

Offline Gifted

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 09:47:32 AM »
Thanks guys.

I think im going to give them a go.

Amazon even has some open box models that they will ship to SA for only $175... with shipping and customs all thrown in its only R2800. Dont think I can complain too much with that.

My understanding is that the 400S was actually originally just a cheaper model of the 400i -  Its just they they are obviously selling off the 400i's?

Offline Gifted

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 10:43:30 AM »
Ok ordered the open box 400I's.... Arrive 9th April.

my thinking is that if for whatever reason I dont like the sound signature Im sure I would be able to sell/trade them here. really curious to try a good open backed headphone and I've never listened to planars before either so cant wait.

Offline seeyou

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2018, 11:05:59 AM »
If you're going open box anyway, you might save some cash: https://carbonite.co.za/index.php?threads/hifiman-he400i.192173/

May even be able to negotiate. And you'll get it quicker.

Disclaimer: Am not affiliated with the seller in any way - but he has a very good trader rating on Carbonite.

Offline Gifted

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2018, 11:12:54 AM »
If you're going open box anyway, you might save some cash: https://carbonite.co.za/index.php?threads/hifiman-he400i.192173/

May even be able to negotiate. And you'll get it quicker.

Disclaimer: Am not affiliated with the seller in any way - but he has a very good trader rating on Carbonite.

Damn... think I would have got those - bit late now though as Amazon has just taken the cash. Not in too much of a hurry though so no biggie... as least I will get the box and packaging as well (im a bit OCD)

Offline seeyou

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2018, 11:30:14 AM »
You can cancel Amazon orders at any time before shipping and they will refund you in full. You're also likely seeing pre-authorisation on your card, as they only do the charge when they ship.

Having the original packaging will help down the line with resale value. Or you could use the fact that it's missing and you can get them for the same price to negotiate the seller down :) Or, as you say, stick with Amazon :)

Offline LouisF

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2018, 03:06:54 PM »
Ok ordered the open box 400I's.... Arrive 9th April.

my thinking is that if for whatever reason I dont like the sound signature Im sure I would be able to sell/trade them here do not bargain on that - lately there seemed to be a problem shifting used 'phones - I tried that with an excellent pair of phones a about half their new price - they were display models before I bought them and used for less than hour by me - and still have them . really curious to try a good open backed headphone and I've never listened to planars before either so cant wait.
"No matter how educated, talented, rich or cool you believe you are,
how you treat people ultimately tells all."
David Avocado Wolfe

I have learned more from people who have differed from me than from those who have agreed with me.

Offline Gifted

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2018, 07:14:31 PM »

Lol... true... well at least the sell/swap idea  is  a good enough excuse for the wife at least... 😂

Offline capetownwatches

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2018, 10:10:05 AM »
Please keep us posted on impressions once they arrive!

You don't mention what gear you are going to use them with?

Kingrex HQ1-Benchmark DAC1 USB-NFB11.32-Little Dot MKll
LCD2F-HD600-DT990Pro-K612Pro-K240S K171MKll-M4U2-Y50

Offline Gifted

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2018, 03:04:03 PM »
Please keep us posted on impressions once they arrive!

You don't mention what gear you are going to use them with?

No worries... they are currently stuck at customs in JHB. Hopefully they get released today and arrive by Friday, although realistically it will be next week im guessing.

mainly ill be using them as my desktop headphones. I have a Fostex HP-A3 DAC/AMP on my PC. They are apparently easy to drive so hopefully that will suffice.

Offline seeyou

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2018, 04:34:00 PM »
Suggest you get in touch with Aramex and ask what the holdup is at customs. Last few packages I've gotten from Amazon through Aramex, they needed my SA ID number but didn't bother getting in touch with me to ask for it until I called in and asked what the hell was taking so long. Makes me miss the days when Amazon used Fedex / DHL to ship here.

Offline Gifted

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2018, 06:18:07 PM »
Suggest you get in touch with Aramex and ask what the holdup is at customs. Last few packages I've gotten from Amazon through Aramex, they needed my SA ID number but didn't bother getting in touch with me to ask for it until I called in and asked what the hell was taking so long. Makes me miss the days when Amazon used Fedex / DHL to ship here.

Yes they do completely suck for sure.. Obviously the hold up was Easter weekend though, Im sure SA customs wasn't even open. I just checked the tracking and it finally cleared customs just now.. so if they get a move on getting it down to Cape Town I should actually get delivery this week. Fingers crossed.... no im just praying I didn't make a mistake going open boxed instead of new sealed  for the sake of $40 :Ooooooh: