Author Topic: Anyone interested in fixing an oven door & donating it?  (Read 398 times)

Offline Andrew

Anyone interested in fixing an oven door & donating it?
« on: March 22, 2018, 12:23:06 PM »
Long story short - my wife and I recently moved to new place, during which the Whirlpool oven toppled over and the front door broke. Whirlpool when approached said they don't deal with public, I had to go through agents (Tecsa). Said company initially quoted me over R5000.00 to fix door on a stove that is going brand new for R2 999.00. Second quote came in just over R3000.00, so still pointless.

I then approached Whirlpool, explained what had happened and suggested they take the stove, fix the door free of charge and donate it to a worthy charity/hospice because there was no point in me paying those costs. Company replied with:

"We as a manufacturer contribute to charities through approved channels so your request is unfortunately not within our scope."

So they'd rather I just dump it at the nearest landfill, it seems. If there is anyone here who might be interested in taking the repairs on, the stove is in otherwise 100% working order and sitting in Edenvale for about another week before I have to get rid of it.
Don't judge me for being quiet - no one plans a murder aloud.

Offline Trompie67

Re: Anyone interested in fixing an oven door & donating it?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 01:38:45 PM »
Have you tried getting a quote from Bergens appliance repairs?
*Insert profound or witty phrase here*

Offline Heinrich

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • silence is golden, but ductape is silver
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 01:44:25 PM »
what exactly is broken?
the glass? hinges?

i think many places will take it as is and fix it themselves.
someone told me that i can make ice cubes with left over wine.
i am confused, what is left over wine?

Offline Andrew

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 03:00:01 PM »
what exactly is broken?
the glass? hinges?

i think many places will take it as is and fix it themselves.

Hi Heinrich,

The hinges are fine, as is the actual inner oven door glass. It's pretty much the outer frame and front glass for lack of a better description. I was just a bit gobsmacked when the company pretty much told they weren't interested in fixing and donating it to a charity or hospice. According to Whirlpool only Tecsa are the relevant agents, and I doubt a charity or hospice will have that kind of cash to fix it either.  :-\

Offline Andrew

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 05:15:21 PM »
Have you tried getting a quote from Bergens appliance repairs?

Hi Trompie,
Thanks for the tip - Bergens confirms it does Whirlpool, no idea why the company didn't list them in the email to me. Have asked for quote.