Author Topic: PS4 Fundis  (Read 1877 times)

Offline KenMasters

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: PS4 Fundis
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2018, 01:33:17 PM »
PS5 release date is most likely 2021 according to all the rumors around so that is still sometime away.

2019/20 is the rumour doing the rounds - game development is already underway.

Offline KenMasters

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2018, 08:09:02 PM »
PS5 spec leak, 2018/2019 release rumoured - 2019 seems likely:

https://wccftech.com/playstation-5-rumors-8-core-zen-cpu/
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 08:17:43 PM by KenMasters »

Offline Tenflare

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Gaming on orthodynamics since 2006.
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2018, 08:33:14 PM »

The just-released Ryzen 3 and 5 APU's pretty much give away that the next generation is coming soon. Those chips are cheap, fast, capable, and perfectly suited to small factor multimedia PC's and consoles.

Furthermore, both the PS4 and Xbone were built on AMD's previous iteration of the tech (albeit highly modified). It's a winning, scaleable formula, and likely to be repeated.

The only real question now is "when?".

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

Never use a graph when a good metaphor will do...

Offline juventino

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2018, 03:36:26 PM »

So usually Sony release early 4th quarter to get the Xmas sales in their biggest markets so being in SA we will probably only see it here 1st quarter 2020

When ever it happens will be interesting to see the size and shape and if Sony carry on ignoring their customers when it comes to media player usage, backward compatibility and quality of the Bluray player.
Time to get back to when I enjoyed listening......no more upgrading, more of a headache than a pleasure

Offline Simango4

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2018, 12:08:32 PM »
Just to echo on that small "buy a PC" voice :flame:

My take is that A mid-range gaming PC offers better graphics and better performance at such uncontested level of details.

PC games are usually cheaper than console versions.

It also does the HT chores (i.e. Netflix, Youtube, Spotify, iTunes, Foobar etc.) better than any other device out there.

Plus you get to use it for other duties that Consoles can't help with like running CAD, Office, Photo editing software, REW etc.

You just need a few mods to make it more HT compliant, starting with a HTPC case, then replace the stock cooling fans with dirt cheap silent PWM controllable Fans, some of the fans are capable of producing under 10dBA of sound when in operation.

Oh, and get hold of Xbox controllers for PC (just a normal Xbox controller with a USB wireless receiver for PC).

So I agree, you spend a little more than on a console, but the gains are way better in every way.
Music is What Feelings Sound Like...
You Don't Stop Gaming Because you Grow Old, You Grow Old Because you Stop Gaming...

Offline Dolby

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • AVForums Veteran
    • Affordable Home Automation
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2018, 01:52:22 PM »
Major problem is many people want to put in a game ... click ... and play.

I started in PC gaming ages ago (never hardcore though) and migrated to the console. So much easier ... no mouse ... or clicking ... or password ... or anything.

Offline juventino

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2018, 01:58:12 PM »
Major problem is many people want to put in a game ... click ... and play.

I started in PC gaming ages ago (never hardcore though) and migrated to the console. So much easier ... no mouse ... or clicking ... or password ... or anything.

And now that you can download the content directly to the console you dont even need to get up to put the disc in
Time to get back to when I enjoyed listening......no more upgrading, more of a headache than a pleasure

Offline KenMasters

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2018, 02:43:16 PM »
Also, Horizon Zero Dawn, Last of Us 2, Uncharted 4, Bloodborne, Spider-Man, God of War etc.

Offline Simango4

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2018, 02:44:04 PM »
Indeed, consoles have an upper hand with respect to convenience...though not that considerable.

Note: Passwords are not compulsory, mouse/mouse-pad is equivalent to the controller...the clicks/taps are more like the pressing of controller buttons...essentially not that different.

I agree, the console is a little more convenient.

However, it comes with a few sacrifices...more like an AVR vs Stereo Amp for music playback.
You Don't Stop Gaming Because you Grow Old, You Grow Old Because you Stop Gaming...

Offline juventino

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2018, 03:00:43 PM »
Indeed, consoles have an upper hand with respect to convenience...though not that considerable.

Note: Passwords are not compulsory, mouse/mouse-pad is equivalent to the controller...the clicks/taps are more like the pressing of controller buttons...essentially not that different.

I agree, the console is a little more convenient.

However, it comes with a few sacrifices...more like an AVR vs Stereo Amp for music playback.

I know I have been out of the PC gaming scene for longer than i can remember but can you really put together a gaming Pc for the same price that can compete with an Xbox at R3500 or PS4 R3800.
I am not only talking about just the gaming side but the fact that you can stream, game, web search, watch blurays etc etc on consoles these days.

Offline Simango4

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2018, 03:38:24 PM »
Also, Horizon Zero Dawn, Last of Us 2, Uncharted 4, Bloodborne, Spider-Man, God of War etc.

:sd: My heart sores at the thought of God of War and Driveclub...

But we all suffer from this exclusivity stunts from developers, some console-only fans wish they could play PC exclusives like Arma 3. While PS/PC-only fans wish they could play Xbox exclusives like Halo (one of the reasons I bought an Xbox)

Offline Simango4

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2018, 03:54:36 PM »
a gaming Pc for the same price that can compete with an Xbox at R3500 or PS4 R3800

Not possible...but as mentioned:

It also does the HT chores (i.e. Netflix, Youtube, Spotify, iTunes, Foobar etc.) better than any other device out there.

Plus you get to use it for other duties that Consoles can't help with like running CAD, Office, Photo editing software, REW etc.

Hence the price comparison of consoles versus PC is like comparing the cost of Netflix to Multichoice.

I bet things like "streaming" and "web searching" are not user friendly during the typing stage given the lack of a keyboard (typing with a remote/controller is not very fun).
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 03:57:08 PM by Simango4 »

Offline Tenflare

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2018, 11:06:03 AM »
To achieve the ability to play all games one needs a PC, a Playstation and a Nintendo Switch. The reason for this is that Nintendo and Sony have acclaimed exclusives that are playable on no other platforms.

Xbox exclusive games, on the other hand, are available on PC via the Xbox Store Windows 10 app with a few exceptions. In other words, the Xbox product can now be considered more of a Microsoft value added (including the incredible Gamepass) than a piece of hardware only.     

Offline Tenflare

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2018, 11:10:21 AM »
My bad, Gamepass is not available on PC  :nfi:

Offline Simango4

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2018, 12:02:56 PM »
one needs a PC, a Playstation

If it wasn't for Sony's controller design error in their previous versions (PS2 & PS3) with respect to the trigger buttons (R2/L2) - they let your finger slide down the trigger especially with prolonged "press and hold" type of games like Racing, I literally had to frequently re-position the finger when throttling to counter the slide, and consequently loose a bit of speed, otherwise, I'd be a hopeless fan of the PC + PS combo.

But at least the aftermarket mods came to the rescue and there's a lot of options out there:

But they finally took customers seriously as the PS4 controller triggers are curved in the right direction like Xbox controllers...so I might buy into PS in the near future purely for some of their exclusive games.