My first analog tape machines (Sony reel to reel and cassette)

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micron

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
I haven't used cassette or reel to reel machines, but I've been wanting to for a few months.
I recently received the following two machines from a family member that purchased them new in the late sixties and mid eighties respectively and has been their only owner. I am now their second owner.

Sony TC-630 - Stereophonic Tape Recorder (1968-71)
KIP5f7W.jpg

I also have the loudspeakers that can be seen in the following photo, though I intend to use the line outs into a better loudspeaker system.
7kfZCcW.png

I've opened the reel to reel machine just to see if everything inside looked okay, belts not perished, no bulging caps, etc. I am the first person to ever open it. It is surprisingly clean on the inside. I have yet to power it on as I don't have the right power plug.

Sony PRS-2121 - Stereo Cassette Receiver System (1984-85)
Very eighties looking. I will be using this mainly for the mixer section - to record instruments onto cassette.
kIs6cbn.jpg

I also have the loudspeakers that can be seen in the following photo, though I intend to use the line outs into a better loudspeaker system.
87YpvdV.jpg

Unsurprisingly the cassette machine needs service as it doesn't turn the cassette reels when "play, ffw or rew" is pressed. I have yet to open this one up. The mixer section works well though.

I'd like to get both machines into working condition. I hope I can find replacement parts if necessary. I have never undertaken refurbishment of analog tape machines, but I will make more posts in the process and ask for advice when I need it.