Testing the waters....Advice on stereo setup

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 1727

AVForums Veteran
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
As a long time lurker I am eventually considering taking a bit of a plunge in the audio pool of uncertainty and wallet breaking decisions. And I need your help/opinions, not due to laziness or a lack of research but just due to an utter lack of experience and knowledge.

Here is what I am looking at:

Room 6x3 (study) tile floor with lose carpets and curtains on opposite ends

Stereo only. No other fancy video stuff in study so not looking for AV. Maybe a projector later but that is it, only need to route audio through it. Will be used mainly for listening to music.

Need some form of connectivity to play music from devices (Bluetooth, USB whatever is the latest craze). Most my CD's converted so no need for CD player.

Speakers suitable to the size of the room. Not overkill. I like to hear detail, not necessarily loud. Would prefer floor standing. Don't like stands.

Subwoofer preferably not. Only two speakers but willing to compromise if really worth it.

Turntable

As above: NO CD player. Preferably usb stick.

Stereo Amp capable to deal with requirements above.

Need to connect computer to amp. What is the best way? Standard on board audio now. 

Now the budget:

R30K max for amp/speakers
10k max for TT

Don't want to make this too long winded but I looked at various combo deals at audiocoonline and soundxperience etc but not sure if I am barking up the wrong tree.

If it was your money how would you spend it?!  :)

Latest posts