Author Topic: 2018 Kia Rio 1.2 LS 5-door - Any Advice/Experience?  (Read 838 times)

Offline AlleyCat

2018 Kia Rio 1.2 LS 5-door - Any Advice/Experience?
« on: March 13, 2018, 11:32:17 AM »
Morning. My son wants to buy one of these new. There is only one available in the province. Any experience/ownership advice please.

Although he is young, 24 going on 25 in July, he has a Golf 3 VR6 which he has cherished and still does, it will go into storage in my garage, he looks after it very well, and this new purchase will possibly be kept for a number of years.

Comments, suggestions appreciated. Thank you.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 11:40:28 AM by AlleyCat »
"Not everything meaningful is measurable, and not everything measurable is meaningful" - Floyd Toole

Offline BWS

Re: 2018 Kia Rio 1.2 LS 5-door - Any Advice/Experience?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 11:57:06 AM »
The Rio gets great reviews from Car magazine and other publications. My wife owned a Kia Picanto for four years and it didn't give one second's hassle. The interior is well built too.
In the word : Scent, is it the S or the C that is silent?

Offline frikkie

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 11:58:16 AM »
From all accounts those are decent cars. I have no personal experience tho.

SELL ME THE VR6!!!!!  :giggle:
Sometimes I drink a glass of water... Just to surprise my liver.

Offline AlleyCat

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 12:48:01 PM »
Thanks so far guys.

Frikkie, that car is still in it's original pristine condition, no add-ons, extras, etc, like the young guys like to tweak, he is not into that at all. He has been stopped many times with offers to buy and they tried to steal his car on a couple of occasions. You are going to have a tough time convincing him to sell.

On a lighter note, he now knows what it feels like to have a really, really good old girlfriend. Ha-ha.
"Not everything meaningful is measurable, and not everything measurable is meaningful" - Floyd Toole

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+115)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 01:11:57 PM »
Rather a big jump from a VR6 to a 1200cc Kia.  He will miss the oomph though.  My cousin has a VR6.  It is one of the more uncomfortable cars I have driven, you seem to feel every bump
Even duct tape can’t fix stupid… but it can muffle the sound

Offline lanties

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town - Bellville - Protea Valley
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 02:01:18 PM »
My wife drove a Rio for a while. The only complain was that it had terrible blind spots. For the rest it was a lovely car.
The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense! - Brian Cox

Offline Rodney_gold

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 03:24:10 PM »
Why not continue driving the vr6?
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch> Trinnov St2 >2x Devialet D premiers>  Vivid audio Giya G1 spirits ..fully treated room

Offline Dubya Jay Dee

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 05:03:14 PM »
Why not continue driving the vr6?

New girlfriend has conservationist beliefs and also doesn't want a boy-racer boyfriend that needs a flash car to boost his machismo.. :whistler:

Seems he can't quite let go yet so in the garage it goes for when she's not around! :giggle:
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 05:05:57 PM by Dubya Jay Dee »

Offline Rodney_gold

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 05:08:44 PM »
I tried that once , forgoing driving my V8's and bought a "normal" honda jazz 1.5  ..I gave it to my wife shortly after and went back to my yank and brit muscle
A petrolhead will never be happy with a 1.2l city car..sucks the fun and life out of driving ....
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch> Trinnov St2 >2x Devialet D premiers>  Vivid audio Giya G1 spirits ..fully treated room

Offline Strechedhz

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2018, 05:48:32 PM »
I'm currently driving one have had the car for three years now. Mechanically it's very sound and being a sales rep means I spend most time in it and it's never failed me. The one area of improvement is the engine, yes it's a 1.2 but compared to my wife's Suzuki swift the Kia sees dust. I've accepted this short coming and I'm very happy with my car.  It's service plan has expired - the services aren't that costly.

Good luck :thumbs:

Offline Dubya Jay Dee

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2018, 05:48:47 PM »
Always think the grey old toppies with a boep and mirror sunglasses driving some low (usually white or red) million dollar muscle car here in Hermanus on the promenade on a Saturday morning showing off to the outdoor diners are a bit naff.  :giggle:

There are a few of them and weirdly they congregate together for mutual admiration sessions sometimes, parking all together in a lump - must be JHB retirees.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 05:52:16 PM by Dubya Jay Dee »

Offline avi

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2018, 06:40:01 PM »
I have a lot of experience with Kia, great car my only recommendation is that he buys the 1.4.

Offline AlleyCat

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2018, 08:12:39 PM »
^^^ Thanks for that AVI.

I tried that once , forgoing driving my V8's and bought a "normal" honda jazz 1.5  ..I gave it to my wife shortly after and went back to my yank and brit muscle
A petrolhead will never be happy with a 1.2l city car..sucks the fun and life out of driving ....

New girlfriend has conservationist beliefs and also doesn't want a boy-racer boyfriend that needs a flash car to boost his machismo.. :whistler:

Seems he can't quite let go yet so in the garage it goes for when she's not around! :giggle:

Rodney is more aligned with his needs and has hit the nail on the head.  Dubya Jay Dee that was funny. She's spending a teaching stint in Qatar.

Offline xenithon

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2018, 07:20:17 AM »
Had the Rio as a rental last month in CTN. Was pleasantly surprised. Comfortable, super easy to drive, lovely gearbox. Only issue as mentioned is power - not s problem in the city but diving out toward Caledon on uphill passes it was heaving a bit. Wouldn’t be great up from the coast.

They have. 1.4 too if I recall correctly.

Offline andredt

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2018, 11:14:41 AM »
What kilos does the VR6 have on?
For the love of music.
B&W Rotel Marantz H&K Micro Seiki