Author Topic: vinyl that skips or gets stuck  (Read 629 times)

Offline kritzingerf

vinyl that skips or gets stuck
« on: March 12, 2018, 05:02:02 PM »
Ok, now don't laugh at this question, even if it might be stupid!  I am still very much a noob when it comes to vinyl, and, I have not researched this as yet... So with that said...

Is there anything that can be done if a record gets stuck on a part of the record, repeating the same groove over and over?  could it be improved by checking/adjusting the arm balance/weight for arguments sake?  or is it a case of its is a damaged record and that's the end?

the good old day, if the record got 'stuck' (as die plaat vas haak) you would simply go and lift the arm, and move the stylus on a few grooves, and that was it...

regards!

Offline Dubya Jay Dee

Re: vinyl that skips or gets stuck
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 05:11:51 PM »
Check if there is some gunk on the record,  even a tiny speck can cause havoc - give it a good clean with a damp lint free cloth.

Adjust the tracking weight and antiskate to the recommended settings for you cartridge.

Offline kritzingerf

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 05:44:41 PM »
Thanx,

I will clean the record, just in case...  it looked in very good nick, but will check again...

not my TT, so I wont mess with that...   just wanted to check if it COULD possibly be a TT mis-adjustment...

Offline Dubya Jay Dee

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 06:07:17 PM »
Thanx,

I will clean the record, just in case...  it looked in very good nick, but will check again...

not my TT, so I wont mess with that...   just wanted to check if it COULD possibly be a TT mis-adjustment...

Anti skate and tracking weight has to be right to ensure reliable tracking. :thumbs:

Offline King_Julian_S

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 06:10:02 PM »
^^ true all parameters have to be right ..

but is it the only record that get stuck ? Does others play well and sound right ?
Non audiophile music lover...

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 07:00:54 PM »
Could be damaged or dirty.  Could be badly adjusted table. 
How do other records fare? Any visible blemishes on record on part where it gets stuck?

[Anyone who thinks that wealth is measured in money is blind and narrow minded.  Wealth is obviously measured in turntables and records.]
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline Dubya Jay Dee

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 08:29:47 PM »
Which TT is it?

Some old automatic turntables have some linkages that can stick or get jammed..

Offline kritzingerf

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 12:42:22 PM »
It's a Technics SL-BD20 TT... It seems to play well , but on one record it got stuck on the 2nd track, about 40seconds in. Von vsual inspection the record looks fine... but I i do not have microscope vision, so that might not mean much. Cleaned record and stylus and retried... no change

A different record got stuck in a groove on the last track, cleaned it with some anti-static spray and microfibre cloth, and brushed the stylus, and it played over the part where it got stuck before... 

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+123)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 12:56:29 PM »
I have got one LP - Requiem by Andrew Lloyd Webber, recorded in 1984.  I bought it in London years ago and never played it until I got back to SA.  Track 1 on side 2,  "Offertorium" which is a very quiet piece, skips (repeats the groove) after about 1 minute in.  I cannot see anything (using a 25x loupe) and have cleaned the surface, which looks spotless anyway, without fixing it.  It skipped the very first time I played it and I reckon it has only been played 3 or 4 times

Is microfibre better than a carbon fibre brush would you say?

None of my other records skip.  It is a Shure V15/V in an SME arm
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 12:58:30 PM by chrisc »
Even duct tape canít fix stupidÖ but it can muffle the sound

Offline kritzingerf

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2018, 02:26:58 PM »
I think a carbon fiber brush is a TON better than microfibre cloth...  but, I am still starting in the vinyl thing, so do not own either a TT or proper record cleaning equipment... yet...

But, I am not the expert!  Read a few days ago the tread of cleaning vinyl with wood glue!!!! so, really?  what do I know!!!

regards

Offline Dubya Jay Dee

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2018, 02:40:38 PM »
I have got one LP - Requiem by Andrew Lloyd Webber, recorded in 1984.  I bought it in London years ago and never played it until I got back to SA.  Track 1 on side 2,  "Offertorium" which is a very quiet piece, skips (repeats the groove) after about 1 minute in.  I cannot see anything (using a 25x loupe) and have cleaned the surface, which looks spotless anyway, without fixing it.  It skipped the very first time I played it and I reckon it has only been played 3 or 4 times

Is microfibre better than a carbon fibre brush would you say?

None of my other records skip.  It is a Shure V15/V in an SME arm

Try adjusting your anti skate a bit lower or higher till it plays through. (I would try lower anti skate first (as it's repeating the groove).. but there could be a bad defect that propels the stylus backwards.

Damp microfiber (distilled water) for light cleaning - once dry the carbon fibre is useful for static and air deposited dust just before playing (followed by stylus brush just in case).

Offline JonnyP

• Gearslut Pro
  • Trade Count: (+39)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • To the centre of the city in the night
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2018, 02:53:40 PM »
I think a carbon fiber brush is a TON better than microfibre cloth...  but, I am still starting in the vinyl thing, so do not own either a TT or proper record cleaning equipment... yet...

But, I am not the expert!  Read a few days ago the tread of cleaning vinyl with wood glue!!!! so, really?  what do I know!!!

regards

Don't try the wood glue as a first option (It is pretty much a last resort cleaning method and I'm still picking bits off the edge of one I tried it on for fun - A toast copy of LKJ's greatest hits - luckily I have the albums with the tracks that still have glue appended).

Sometimes there may be a flaw in the pressing that is causing the jump, if you have a not so good cart that you don't mind getting a bit careless with then up the anti-skate and effective mass and play through that section a couple of times, if it is still jumping, it's probably not worth trying further to dislodge whatever the obstruction is.  If it does play through, hopefully you have created a pathway that your main cart at correct weight and anti-skate can now follow.
Are you waiting for loneliness to paralyse? Are you waiting for sister midnight to anaesthetise?

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2018, 03:29:07 PM »
Carbon Fibre Brush isnít much good when cleaning with a fluid solution.  A fibre cloth or firm brush is needed there. 
Carbon Fibre is good for cleaning dry to remove surface dust and discharge static electricity in the record via the fibres to your hand and to ground. 

A skipping record is not likely solved with a soft carbon fibre brush if the flaw is dirt at all. 

[Anyone who thinks that wealth is measured in money is blind and narrow minded.  Wealth is obviously measured in turntables and records.]
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+123)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2018, 05:45:05 PM »
I think I'll get one of these

Even duct tape canít fix stupidÖ but it can muffle the sound

Offline Ajay-L

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2018, 04:55:45 PM »
Try a different tracking force, I have an LP that gets stuck at my cartridges recommended tracking force, if I track a little lighter (0.25g down) it plays through with a click.