Author Topic: Mytek Brooklyn - High end DAC with preamp, MQA, phono stage  (Read 1795 times)

Offline seanjammy

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • AVForums Veteran
Mytek Brooklyn - High end DAC with preamp, MQA, phono stage
« on: March 11, 2018, 06:07:35 PM »
Hi all,

I think I sold this short, and wanted to start a new thread. There are two reasons it is up for sale:

- I can't use all of its features as I have a preamp and phono stage
- I want to try something different (Yggdrasil or Denafrips).

When I first got the machine, it had a slightly hard edge to it (similar to other Sabre DACs ), but the addition of a high end PSU (I have a monster audiophile regulated power supply dedciated to it), it is exceptionally smooth and sweet sounding.

The Mytek Brooklyn is, at its core, an immensely capable DA converter. With 'standard' red book CD it is fantastic, it has masses of detail, but also a sense of fluidity from the presentation that I really enjoy.

One 'level up' and the DAC permits you to decode Hi Res MQA files from streaming services like Tidal. Whether this will be the next standard is debatable, but it does offer a reliable, low bandwidth way to get tons of Hi Res content, which sound significantly better than lossless. That's the conservative view - my view is that MQA is a no brainer, it is unbelievable.

Then the Mytek Brooklyn is an ultra quiet, MM or MC phono stage. So, add a power amp and it serves as the core of a system, thanks to its next component - an analog OR digital (user selectable) preamp, complete with volume knob.

All functions can be configured from the OLED front panel, or a simple app (Mac or PC) that you run on a USB connected PC.

In summary, this is an 'end game' DAC for a music lover, audiophile, or (like me), mixture of the two who has to try the latest and greatest.

Apparently Stereophile agree, as this is a Class A rated 'best buy.

The Unit itself is in as-new condition, with box and all accessories. The external PSU was scratched in shipping, but it is barely noticeable.

Price for both - R25 000. This is what I paid for just the DAC (PSU was 3k). You can buy it new for $2200 (R26 400), however add shipping, VAT, and duties, and you end up very close to 35k. This item is in brand new condition.

Offline seanjammy

• AVForums Veteran
Re: Mytek Brooklyn - High end DAC with preamp, MQA, phono stage
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 06:08:36 PM »
Oh, sorry, I forgot, for those looking for the ultimate in head Fi it also has built in Headphone amplifier ...

Offline seanjammy

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 06:13:22 PM »
"Even without MQA the Mytek Brooklyn offers exceptional value due to its versatility, flexibility, ergonomic elegance, and overall high level of sonic performance. Once you throw MQA into the equation, I have to say, “Game over” for any DAC or DAC manufacturer that can’t keep up."

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/mytek-brooklyn-mqa-compatible-dac/

Offline JJJ

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Drink the best wine!
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2018, 07:36:32 PM »
Where are you?
Laziness travel so slowly,that poverty will overtake you.

Offline seanjammy

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2018, 07:56:47 PM »
Where are you?

Hi,

I am in Joburg, but happy to ship.

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROON's an empty promise
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+31)
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2018, 09:54:38 PM »
There's a yggy not too far from you I may be willing to part with. PM me with a serious offer and I may just be swayed.
I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things -- Tom Waits

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline seanjammy

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 09:29:09 PM »
There's a yggy not too far from you I may be willing to part with. PM me with a serious offer and I may just be swayed.
Thanks, but I'm more of a detail guy. Not sure I want to live with a smoothed out representation of reality.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Offline seanjammy

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 09:30:09 PM »
I'm open to offers people. I paid 28k (including PSU) so was trying to recover most of this, but happy to talk.

Offline Rotten Johnny

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 09:45:19 PM »
Thanks, but I'm more of a detail guy. Not sure I want to live with a smoothed out representation of reality.

plenty of detail, without the harshness of Delta/Sigma

Offline Rotten Johnny

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2018, 09:48:39 PM »
Delta/ Sigma = wife, R2R = mistress. Only mistresses don't come cheap

Offline Gramophone

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2018, 09:50:34 PM »
Delta/ Sigma = wife, R2R = mistress. Only mistresses don't come cheap

:giggle: :giggle:
"Midnight is where the day begins"

Offline seanjammy

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2018, 10:04:44 PM »
plenty of detail, without the harshness of Delta/Sigma
Many reviewers appear to disagree. The Brooklyn is rated ahead of the Schitt stuff (which is really just repackaged 20 year old Theta stuff, check the PCBs).

With MQA the performance gap widens significantly.

Irrespective, perhaps the classifieds section is not the best place to be debating this bud?

Mods, do you mind tidying up?

Offline Dolby

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
    • Affordable Home Automation
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2018, 05:30:17 AM »
Nowadays there is no such thing as a 110v component, right? Everything is 110 or 240? So the PSU bought extra is a better version of the original and not a stepup or anything?

Offline irengineer

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Veteran
    • An IT guy's view on the world
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2018, 05:57:16 AM »
I spent almost a year with this Mytek Brooklyn in my system. Was it not for a short term cash crunch, I would never have sold it. In my system it ran on a Valve Audio Exclame with Tannoy Saturn S10 speakers. I also added a linear PSU which took things a level up sonically. It is an extremely versatile component with tons of features. I ran it with a Roon/Tidal combo for my DSD/FLAC music collection and streaming. The phono was connected to my MC cartridges on my dual arm arm turntable. I also used the headphone amp with my AKG 553 Pro headphones. For redbook CD's, I used a Rotel player as a transport, running SPDIF into the Brooklyn. It has an extremely nice hot output, capable of driving power amps to their full potential. In my setup, the Exclame was left on a single input, with everything done and switched on the DAC. I was sad to see it go, but circumstances dictated that I had to sell. Personally, and this might be system dependent, I did not experience a harsh or brittle edge on this DAC. Lots of detail with a great sonic balance. You will not make a mistake buying this. Not sure, but I think this might be one of a handful in country.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
“Somebody was trying to tell me that CDs are better than vinyl because they don’t have any surface noise.  I said, “Listen, mate, life has surface noise.” 

John Peel ( the longest serving of the original BBC Radio1 DJs)

Offline Gramophone

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2018, 06:33:30 AM »

Sean, I see in your first post that you want to try out a new dac and that includes the Yggdrasil.  Have you listened to one yet?  From my experience with R2R multibit dacs (Theta) they are anything but "smoothed out".  I cannot see myself ever going back to Delta Sigma again...but that's me and others may differ.
"Midnight is where the day begins"